Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sad Looking Lowes VFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad Looking Lowes VFT

So I was at Lowes today and they had this guy in the far back inside, in the dark. I felt bad for it so I decided to buy it. What kind is it and why is it lying down like that? its inside under my lights and I watered it with distilled water of course. It 70 in my house and the lights are the normal ones I talk about. 2700k/6500k. 3 of each and its about 1.5-2 feet away from the lights. will this be ok? thanks and have a good weekend ps I did the [IMG] url [/IMG] with out spaces and its just showing an x. here are the pics I took Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Last edited by mreaves311; 11-28-2015 at 02:54 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably severely shocked or dying. They should be in dormancy by now.
    This one might make it if you overwinter it and never move it, but its unlikely.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DO NOT put it into dormancy, it will not survive if you do at this point. It has been exposed to very high humidity and low light so all the leaves are weak and etiolated. It will need to acclimate, and the old leaves will eventually die while the new leaves look better. This plant doesn't care normally about humidity and likes full sunlight, so try to acclimate it to conditions similar.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Was hesitant to post before because I was unsure how it would take to going into dormancy this late in the year and in it's weakened state). I'm guessing that it would still have a chance to survive if he skipped -one- dormancy, letting it get to full health and natural dormancy next year, considering it's state?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you mean by "overwinter it and don't move it"?

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overwinter it in your grrnhouse under lights, hope it survives till next fall, and dont move it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be fine. It's just as hcarlton said high humidity in the deathbox and low light have made it like that. Try to keep it somewhat humid at first and toss it under some lights. The old leaves will prlly yellow and then shrivel away but new healthy growth will come up. I wouldn't put it outside this time of year. You may see it go dormant indoors if you shorten the photo period and keep it on the cooler side, allow it to recover first though.

Oh and as for what kind it is, typical flytrap.
    Last edited by Axelrod12; 11-29-2015 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually looks good for a Lowe's Dionaea. Just give it a lot of light, grow it as a tropical this winter, and grow it normally next year.