Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Red B-52

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah. Alright then. I'll just leave them be. Don't want to stress out the B-52 anymore than it already is by rummaging around it's pot extricating bladderworts.
    "FEED ME!!" ~ Audrey II, Little Shop of Horrors

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you see some thin flower stalks start protruding from the media just yank em out (although the flowers are cute). When I first got a pygmy sundew from him, I thought that the pygmies were flowering Sermuncher informed me that it was just the U. bisquamata, and he also pointed out to be careful if using water trays, as they can spread through stolons in the water to other pots.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My solution is to remove the flytrap from the pot, strip the soil gently but completely off of the roots and bulb and repot in new soil. Of course, some people enjoy U. bisquamata but it generally wears out its welcome before long.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might not be bisquamata though. I've seen some yellow hitchhiker bladderworts from the same vendor.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The yellow ones would be U. subulata, which is just as weedy. I have yet to see it though, I always get U. bisquamata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the bladderworts even a problem? In my experience they stay low to the ground and generally out of everything else's way. Live sphagnum moss helps keep them limited too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that they necessarily block out light (although some are large enough to), it's that they can, if left alone, choke out the roots of small plants. If left alone too long, something like bisquamata that forms a dense carpet could conceivably stunt the growth of a plant's crown or rhizome. At least, I would assume so.

I have a dedicated pot of U. bisquamata that's been growing unimpeded for nearly two years, and if I were to pop it out, it would be almost solid with stolons, and the surface is an impregnable mass of leaves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    It's not that they necessarily block out light (although some are large enough to), it's that they can, if left alone, choke out the roots of small plants. If left alone too long, something like bisquamata that forms a dense carpet could conceivably stunt the growth of a plant's crown or rhizome. At least, I would assume so.

I have a dedicated pot of U. bisquamata that's been growing unimpeded for nearly two years, and if I were to pop it out, it would be almost solid with stolons, and the surface is an impregnable mass of leaves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast