What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red fly trap hardiness?

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I have been wanting to get a red vft for a while now, but I have heard they are less hardy than the green varieties. Is this true? I was looking into getting an akai ryu cultivar.

Where did you hear that? Cultivars should be no less hardy than your typical VFT. Though there may be a few exceptions, red cultivars are not one of them

I would agree, color is not an indicator of cold hardiness. I know for a fact that 'Akai Ryu' can take the cold well. There are some cultivars out there that are not supposed to handle freezes as well but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Oops, I didn't mean cold hardiness. I meant that I heard that they are less vigorous growers and that they are a bit more difficult to care for. Sorry for the confusion.

Generally speaking, they don't grow as big or as fast. There are exceptions, of course. FTS Maroon Monster is one of the bigger, faster growing red cultivars.

CarnivoreGirl, nice mug. Can you tell me where you got it?

Careful advertising here....

Well, thanks for the info... didn't mean to cause any trouble.

Actually, perhaps the mug might be a different story, but sales on here are supposed to be restricted to the Flytrapshop that supports the forum, or in the classifieds (though personally I think there's a bit of free room in the PM department)

Back