What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft splitting?

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I want to try propagating some of my vft's this year via splitting the rizome. When's the best time to do this? How big should the plant be? Also, is tissue culture possible without a laboratory for doing so?

Last edited:
The best time to split the rhizome is about now, through Late Spring. Once you bare-root the plant, it should be obvious where it should be divided. It generally appears like a garlic bulb, when older.

Tissue culture is only possible if the grower can practice sterile technique and is capable of cleaning the explants, in lieu of killing them. Your question is far too vague; and I would suggest checking out the home tissue culture website: Home - KITCHEN CULTURE KITS INC, both for materials and advice . . .

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll split it when I re-pot this spring. Sorry if I was overly vague. I was asking if tissue culture is only possible in totally sterile, clean room settings or if it was possible to do in a home setting. Your link appears to have answered my question about tissue culture.

Last edited:
Back