What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Watts for lamp

If using a single bulb screw-in desk lamp to illuminate one 8" pot of VFTs, what wattage would be best for each type of bulb: incandescent, compact fluorescent, LED?

Incandescent bulbs are generally not recommended for CPs. They run far too hot. I don't know exact wattages for bulbs, but I would recommend somewhere around 2000 lumens per square foot of grow space based on my experience. You can probably get away with a bit less for more focused light, though it depends on your lamp.

In my experience, the incandescent grow bulbs from lows work fine, but i used them several feet above the plants. If you ask me, it's best to just use the sun.

You have supplied far to scant information for anyone to come to a meaningful conclusion. Wattage would depend on the lighting type.

What situation is the plant in before you illuminate?

Is it the sole method of illumination or is it supplementary? If supplementary then just how supplementary is it?

Can you use LED red /blue growlights or even a combination with white? In this case lumens are irrelevant.

Etc etc.

Thanks for the replies!

I've only used incandescent bulbs with my CPs for a few years now: Pings, Neps, Sundews, Bladderworts and I've had no problems with overheating. I don't use grow shelves like many other growers, I prefer to have a lamp with one pot underneath it, in various spots around the house. The distance between the top of the pot and the lamp is normally about 7 inches and I use 40 watt incandescent bulbs.

I don't have any VFTs yet, I'm just trying to figure if my 40 watt bulbs 7" above the pot will work for them, as it has worked for the other CPs I grow. If not, I'd like to figure what type of bulb I may need to get to grow VFTs. Some sun glow might come through the closed blinds on the other side of the room, but the light bulb will be the main source of illumination for the VFTs.

Any other info needed to find the perfect bulb for my situation?

Last edited:
I've PM'd you the details of a lamp that I'd use if I wanted to have plants in the situations you enjoy. They're quite cheap and consume much less power than your current lamp of choice.

Thanks for the suggestions Av8tor1 and fredg!!!
Now that I have lighting covered I can look into getting a VFT! I haven't had one about 10 years!

Back