Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coquillage: all that it's cracked up to be?

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coquillage: all that it's cracked up to be?

I have some extra money on hand and I thought of possibly getting a coquillage venus fly trap, but I have a few questions. First, how is coquillage pronounced? Second, do they grow those unique traps consistently? Thanks.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) coquillage - Wiktionary
    Push play button to hear pronunciation.

2) Yes
    How can gravity be so strong if it doesn't even lift?
    >Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/gr...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    I have some extra money on hand and I thought of possibly getting a coquillage venus fly trap, but I have a few questions. [D]o they grow those unique traps consistently? Thanks.
    Provided that the plant has been divided vegetatively and not further tissue-cultured, the traps are fairly consistent -- though some revert back to normal appearances down the line. Coquillage began as a TC mutation, some years back, and very few of those are truly consistent, over time . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never seen a Coquillage make a "normal" trap, nor have I ever heard about it "reverting" to normalcy. And I didn't know that it originated as a TC mutation. The trait is quite genetic, as it readily produces offspring via seed that look very much like the parent plant.

Coquillage is one of my favorite flytraps. Very vigorous, flowers often and strongly, and produces a lot of seed. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone if they enjoy the way it looks. They won't be disappointed. With a market full of different named flytraps, Coquillage is definitely one I'd recommend for anyone. And I have grown nearly all of the named flytraps to this point!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, I have just ordered one and hope to see it soon. Thanks for all the help.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good news, the vft arrived today and it's great, tiny, but great. One question though. The care sheet that came with it said not to soak it in water continuously, yet I have found that soaking them with the tray method works out quite well. What's your opinion? Thanks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The care sheet that came with it said not to soak it in water continuously, yet I have found that soaking them with the tray method works out quite well. What's your opinion?
    You do what ever works for your plants in your conditions.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The care sheet that came with it said not to soak it in water continuously, yet I have found that soaking them with the tray method works out quite well. What's your opinion? Thanks.
    Flytraps grow best when their soil is damp, but not soaking wet for too long. We try to keep all of our thousands of flytraps growing in moist soil, but never sitting in water. They grow much more quickly and robustly that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double tap.
    Last edited by boggyboy72; 07-31-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    Never seen a Coquillage make a "normal" trap, nor have I ever heard about it "reverting" to normalcy. And I didn't know that it originated as a TC mutation. The trait is quite genetic, as it readily produces offspring via seed that look very much like the parent plant.

Coquillage is one of my favorite flytraps. Very vigorous, flowers often and strongly, and produces a lot of seed. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone if they enjoy the way it looks. They won't be disappointed. With a market full of different named flytraps, Coquillage is definitely one I'd recommend for anyone. And I have grown nearly all of the named flytraps to this point!
    I just got 3 Coquillage last week.

The person I got them from told me that "this cultivar is on the less hardy side".When I told him another grower( you actually) had said they were "extraordinarily hardy" he said "Well they may be hardy for Oregon, but in Utah they just haven't held up as well as the other plants."

They're small but look healthy.I'm not worried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast