What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planted my VFT today

Good info, thanks guys. Am also gonna try that this year.

Oh, thanks.

I read further back and see you plan to build a cold frame. In that case build it on top of the plunge bed. You'll then have even more winter protection.

Good idea, the plunge bed by itself should do well for my Japanese maple too. Thanks.

I, too, have done the fridge method for a number of years with success. Lost my vft last spring when I put it out on my balcony as temps were in the upper 40s F. Unfortunately, had a cold snap one night and I completely forgot about it. Pot froze solid and the bulb turned to mush. (I had kept it in its pot when I put it in the fridge each of those years.). Have to get another vft someday.

This past winter, I over-wintered a potted Sarr. minor in the fridge with no problem. Also over-wintered a temperate orchid in my fridge but don't know how that will turnout yet.

Well, it's only worked once for me. Did you do it bare root? I always did it with them in their pots, that might have been the root of the problem.

Well, it's only worked once for me. Did you do it bare root? I always did it with them in their pots, that might have been the root of the problem.

I leave mine IN the pots but I make sure to drain off as much excess water as I can. Then I hit them with some sulphur based fungicide and put them in zip lock bags.

Left the vft in its pot when I did it. The media was just lightly/barely moist.

Perhaps that was my problem, thanks for the help. Also, I apologize to jerrysmith for unintentionally hijacking his thread.

Perhaps that was my problem, thanks for the help. Also, I apologize to jerrysmith for unintentionally hijacking his thread.

No problem Curtis. I've learned a lot about alternate methods of winter protection for VFT and other CP!!!! I used to store Parsnips in a pit I'd line with oak leaves. I'd interlayer the Parsnips and leaves. Covered it all with about two layers of bagged leaves and covered the bags with plastic to keep the moisture out. Just went out in the mid winter to remove the plastic and bagged leaves and fished out some Parsnips. Looks like this might be all I have to do for my potted hybrid Sarracenia.

I've been bringing mine in when the temps are forecast for mid to low 30'sF overnight. Tomorrow night will be one of those nights.

My plants were all barerooted when I put them in the moist sphagnum. Don't remember if I said that.

I'll post more photo's as they show more growth. I do see some traps beginning to form.

Here's a photo taken April 30th to show that there is some growth starting. Not too much though. Been very chilly.

2016-4-30%20Growth%20progressing_zpsaaf8mhe1.jpg

Some growth is better than no growth.

I just took another update photo. It looks like one of the traps has closed on something. This would be the first active trap. Look in the top left pot and the top plant in the pot. The one trap that is angled to about 11:55 looks like it is clamped on something. False alarm? I hope not, it will jump start the plants if its feeding already.

2016-5-19 First active trap.jpg

Last edited:
I just took my plants out of their pots to put in the refrigerator and see I need to update this thread with photo's I've had but never posted:

June 6, 2016 Flower buds starting:

View attachment 3883

View attachment 3884

Sept 16, 2016 Plants fully grown. Smallest plants in lower right pot didn't all make it. Only one.:

View attachment 3885

Today, Dec 13, 2016. Took the plants out of their pots. They've been in my garage in very dim light since the first hard frost. I think the coldest we've had since then is low to mid 20's overnight. The outdoor ground is not frozen yet. Later this week we are predicted to get down to the single digits or so. These are the plants after breaking off the perfectly good leaves and traps and roots. Washed in cold tap water and storing this year in moist long fiber peat moss in a sealed plastic bag in the back of the refrigerator.

View attachment 3886

Last edited:
I have peat moss soaking overnight and plan on repotting all of my VFT tomorrow. I have not looked at them since Dec 13, 2016.

Well another year has gone by and I took my VFT and one S. leucophylla out of the refrigerator today and potted them in fresh sphagnum peat moss. I noticed just the bare beginnings of a fungus on the S. leucophylla when I took it out to pot up. I didn't use any fungicide/sulfur dust. I just potted it up. They are outside in the weather now since it is so mild. I'll be watching for cold snaps and will move them back into my garage.

Video taken today of the VFT potting. It is uploading now and won't be available for a few hours. The link is correct though:

https://youtu.be/h-mIt47WFCw

Here is a video of my potting of the Sarracenia today. I used some of the same footage as the VFT video since it showed the preparations:

https://youtu.be/m8P0q3zxK4c

Well another year has gone by and I took my VFT and one S. leucophylla out of the refrigerator today and potted them in fresh sphagnum peat moss. I noticed just the bare beginnings of a fungus on the S. leucophylla when I took it out to pot up. I didn't use any fungicide/sulfur dust. I just potted it up. They are outside in the weather now since it is so mild. I'll be watching for cold snaps and will move them back into my garage.

Video taken today of the VFT potting. It is uploading now and won't be available for a few hours. The link is correct though:

https://youtu.be/h-mIt47WFCw

Here is a video of my potting of the Sarracenia today. I used some of the same footage as the VFT video since it showed the preparations:

https://youtu.be/m8P0q3zxK4c

Hi Jerry!
I always hit mine with a little sulphur based fungicide but mine tends to have a tiny bit of fungus when I take them out. The fungicide takes quick care of it. I love when I can take them out and start the year!

The first video doesn't play for me.

Last edited:
I just checked both video links and both played for me. I did duplicate part of the video between the two in order to have each be complete showing the materials needed. I don't have the best video skills. Just learning the editing too.

I just checked both video links and both played for me. I did duplicate part of the video between the two in order to have each be complete showing the materials needed. I don't have the best video skills. Just learning the editing too.

The first one now plays fine for me. Go figure!

Back