Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Planted my VFT today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planted my VFT today

I took my 15 VFT out of the refrigerator today and removed them from the moist peat moss they were stored in over the winter. Potted them in pure peat moss. They are in a sunny window in my unheated garage since we are expecting a cold snap late this week down to the mid 20's. Might bring in my other plants later this week.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool! let us know how they respond! I hope you have good luck, I have heard refrigerating vfts is risky business.
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamata-Honzo View Post
    cool! let us know how they respond! I hope you have good luck, I have heard refrigerating vfts is risky business.
    I never heard it for a long time, but I sure did learn it. I've been growing vft's since I was really young (7 comes to mind) and I have only managed a successful fridge dormancy ONCE. I did manage a successful dormancy in my windowsill this winter and plan to build a cold frame this summer to put them in for dormancy. In short, I learned that the hard way.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They looked green and healthy. I twisted all the traps off in the fall when I put them in the fridge. When I sorted through the peat moss to get the plants out, I found one that was rotten. I didn't use any fungicide at all. I brought them out of the garage today because the weather looks pretty good for the next few days temperature wise. Rain for tomorrow.

These plants are the only ones that survived being in my unheated garage winter of 2014-2015. Temps were well below freezing down to single digits. I lost most of my Sarracenia Scarlet Belle and another. The wild types did fine. I was going to leave them in the garage last winter but chickened out.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    I never heard it for a long time, but I sure did learn it. I've been growing vft's since I was really young (7 comes to mind) and I have only managed a successful fridge dormancy ONCE. I did manage a successful dormancy in my windowsill this winter and plan to build a cold frame this summer to put them in for dormancy. In short, I learned that the hard way.
    Slightly off topic, but how cold does it get over the winter for you? I had mine in a cold frame this winter, and they almooooooooooostttt made it through, were looking really great, but then we had a warmup briefly in February, and then an immediate cold snap. Almost all of my VFT crashed after that, even in the cold frame. Will be brainstorming this summer ideas how to get remaining ones (and a couple of new ones) to make it through that kind of disaster again. You sound pretty experienced, any ideas how to circumvent this come next winter?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not as experienced as I sound, that windowsill dormancy was only my second successful dormancy, but here's what I did. I kept my venus fly traps outside until it got down to really cold temperatures (somewhere below zero I think) after that I put them in some apothecary jars, though any glass container should do, and kept them there until it got warm and they started growing again. I too, suffered from a cold snap, but I brought one in that had divided a bunch of times to keep the little divisions from getting too cold. I thought the the others could handle it, I'm now hoping they make it through my mistake. I would suggest watching the weather report and bringing them to your windowsill until the cold snap passes. I hope that helps.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. That's two more successful dormancies than I've got right now. Alright, cool, thanks! Hopefully this year will treat my traps better....if not, I'll take it as a hint to stick to neps/dews for a while! :P

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep trying, my friend. It's taken me 4-5 non consecutive years to figure it out. Vft's are quite hardy really, the dormancy is really their only difficult area of care in my opinion.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast