Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Damaged Venus Flytrap

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damaged Venus Flytrap

Yesterday I received a Venus Flytrap in the mail. It arrived a bit beat up. Besides proper light, and sitting in a water filled tray, is there anything I can do to help this plant? Should I attempt to feed it's only open trap? I haven't had a VFT in many years (and when I did, I didn't know how to properly care for it) and I just want it to do well. I've grown neps, sundews, pings, and bladderworts with success. I'm hoping to do the same with this flytrap.

I would also like to repot the VFT, should I do it now, or should I wait for it to settle in?

Here are some photos so you know what I'm working with. I removed the remaining bit of flower spike after photos were taken. Should I remove the browning leaf?

Last edited by Acro; 04-15-2016 at 02:09 AM.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your fly trap is outside, it will probably feed itself if that trap is functioning. I've let dying leaves stay on the plant before and seems to have no ill effect. If you still have that flower stalk, you could place in some media and it will grow into a new plant. I hope that helps.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would write the person you bought it from and ask about the conditions it was in, then try to match that. I wouldn't want to further stress it by changing the conditions drastically all of the sudden. Under similar conditions I would think it will pop back just fine, once it gets 4 or 5 traps total I would consider it plenty healthy to repot. I wouldn't worry about cutting off the browning leaf since there is still some green on it for it to photosynthesize, unless you're planning on putting it in a bag or something for some reason then just watch it for mold growth (I don't advise putting it in a bag though).
    I wouldn't expect it to have a problem recovering.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    If your fly trap is outside, it will probably feed itself if that trap is functioning. I've let dying leaves stay on the plant before and seems to have no ill effect. If you still have that flower stalk, you could place in some media and it will grow into a new plant. I hope that helps.
    It will be grown indoors and I'd love to feed it! Since I have a variety of reptiles and fish I always have some live or dead feeders of different sorts.
    Ahh, I forgot all about growing plantlets off of the stalk! I just tossed it and the other pieces out of the window yesterday! It's been humid over here . . . if I can find it, it might still be in good shape. That's a great thought!

Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    I would write the person you bought it from and ask about the conditions it was in, then try to match that. I wouldn't want to further stress it by changing the conditions drastically all of the sudden. Under similar conditions I would think it will pop back just fine, once it gets 4 or 5 traps total I would consider it plenty healthy to repot. I wouldn't worry about cutting off the browning leaf since there is still some green on it for it to photosynthesize, unless you're planning on putting it in a bag or something for some reason then just watch it for mold growth (I don't advise putting it in a bag though).
    I wouldn't expect it to have a problem recovering.
    Andrew
    Great ideas! I will find out it's past growing conditions were. I'll wait to repot it once I know it's recovered a bit. And I'll leave the leaf, to help it gather light.

Thanks for the replies you two! I just really want this plant to do well!
    Last edited by Acro; 04-15-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, good luck with your plant.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Humidity so if it was kept really high you can bring it down and light so you know what intensity to start at. You don't want to burn it, but for best growth you'll want to give it as much as it can take and work up slowly from there. Water level isn't important, you know how to water a cp, and I don't think temp is too important either since the plant isn't in dormant growth.
    Andrew
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    Same here, good luck with your plant.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Humidity so if it was kept really high you can bring it down and light so you know what intensity to start at. You don't want to burn it, but for best growth you'll want to give it as much as it can take and work up slowly from there. Water level isn't important, you know how to water a cp, and I don't think temp is too important either since the plant isn't in dormant growth.
    Andrew
    I've found out that the plant was kept outdoors in full sun, totally opposite of how I have it setup now (indoors, under lights). Any idea how to smooth the transition? It's like hardening off a plant, but backwards!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You want to keep it indoors? That's not ideal, vets like LIGHT! I guess if you want to, just put it under the most/closest you can.
    -Andrew

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast