Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where should I put my VFT?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know i have to put it in direct sunlight. and my room has only 1 window with the heater below it. it's really cold outside and i like to keep my window open.

so should i put my pet on the window sill? it'll be able to feel the cold draft from outside as well as the very dry heat from the heater below...

suggestion pls... i just got this vft a second ago. i don't know where is the best place for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take an hour or so to browse over this forum. Most of the questions you will have are answered somewhere. Also, if you just got it I would wait a week or so before feeding it.
    Buckmaster

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll also want to check out:
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Good luck with your new plant!
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, unless it`s below freezing the cold shouldn`t be a problem. I live in Connecticut, it`s still pretty cold here too. I grow all my vft`s on a sunny windowsill. Water them from below with rain or distilled water only. I usually hand feed mine 1 trap per plant per about once a month. Good luck! Peace, John.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put the top half of a two litre bottle over it, it can act as a humidome, with an escape to have a bit of airflow... that will cut down the humidity robbing characteristic of the vent...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the EXACT spot I keep mine. Mine are doing fine despite the heater in part I think because I ALWAYS keep the trays full of distilled water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TRAY? OMG what TRAY?

i have a confession. i didn't use distilled water the first time. when i got it home i rushed to water it... and back then i hadn't read up on the watering part. :-(

still a little confused about that 2-litre humidome: that goes on top of the plastic terrarium that it comes in???

thanks everyone, this helps a lot.

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not use the plastic dome it came with--it provides too much humidity and so encourages fungus and heats the plant excessively when sun hits it.

A humidome with the top cut off would still provide high humidity but also some ventilation.

Your plant should be sitting in a few cm distilled water at all times--keep the soil very moist but not soaking wet.

It's ok if you watered it incorrectly once--I did the same thing with my first VFT!

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast