Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with my vft :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, The light may be an issue (some of the trap stems do look longer), but there isn't any way I can "acclimate" then to any more, because I don't have any :| They get the most light I have in my apartment. Both plants sit in the only window, in the spot where they get the most light(there are 3 panes in the window, the one at the opposite end from the vft's opens and is always open to a degree). In any plant book I've read it said "full, indirect light" so according to the info I *had* the conditions I have are ideal. My boyfriend even complains because its so bright in the morning (through curtains) he wakes up at 6 because he can't sleep!
    I'll try flushing both of the plants.
    On another note, there are some offshoots(babies) in the same pot as the vft larger vft that look fine. wide leaves below the traps and large traps.
    The spots look just like the mildew you'd see in your bathroom. And yes, the trap begins to go black and then goes limp, there may be a small browness as well. It doesn't look burnt really, the leaves just turn a little black, and then spots start to appear on the stem like I described. The black spots are the leaf, I haven't tried scratching them off but I don't *think* it would work. My parents don't fertilize unless they think a plant needs it, and I don't think they had it long enough, and at the time it looked quite healthy anyway (I'll ask for sure when they get back from vacation), so they wouldn't have bothered. I think they also read up on vft's before they got me this one, to make sure it would work with my situation.The flower is no longer attached, I let it die off in hopes of getting some seeds for my Dad (I pollinated it), but when the seed portion of the flower died, I removed it the rest of the stem.
    Thanks for the tip on the edit button [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] right over my head!

thanks again

Malli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I filled each pot to the brim with distilled water and let it drain at least 3 times, then let them sit, then came back to find my tap dripping into the sink next to them so drenched the one it was dripping closest to (the sick one as well) with distilled water again. Both are sitting right in front of the open window on the sill.
    any thoughts on that mildew type stuff I described?

thanks!

Malli

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Malli

You could try a little fungicide on it. I don't think it would hurt it any. There are several types available (Cleary's, Mancozeb, etc.). You can mix it up and put it in a spray bottle and mist it on. If your plants are out in the open, I wouldn't think stagnant air is the problem unless the room they're in is closed and very hot. Usually that is more a terrarium issue.

Since I haven't had mold issues with mine (they are all outdoors), I can't offer any thoughts on the black spots. I have only seen my traps die off naturally.

Sounds like you are doing everything right though. You could try supplementing their light with a flourescent fixture (you can get small ones).

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What have you been feeding it?(if anything). Because if you overfeed a trap it will blacken and die in the way you described). also it could be black spot disease (same type that effects roses). ohhhhhhhhhh.............and I almost forgot welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have fed it a couple of ants (I know soft shelled insects are better), baby cochroaches, miscellaneous mosquitos, and small house moths. Thing is, the traps are dying off that haven't been fed.
    Do you have a link to a site wich describes black spot or/and has pictures?
    Ok, so just a fine misting of fungicide mixed with water only once?(whats the mixture of water to fungicide?) I have a florescent light fixture, I'll set it up [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    thanks!

Malli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is the only info i could find on it and i quote "black spots apear on the leaves,gradualy spreading until all the leaves rot away" captan is an efective control follow manufactures directions (quotes from the savage garden)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help everyone [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Malli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you fix it?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast