Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with my vft :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi, I'm a newcomer to this forum too n I bought my first vft. they're so small... n I got the same problem as malli's vft's, I just clipped/plucked the blacked out ones.... And I also tried your suggestion.. And I'm assuming it's going fine! In winter, do I put em in fridge?(35degress F) Also, can I save my vft's with out fungicide? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] Thank you for your Help [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no basement(I live in apartment with no deck), I am wondering if the refrigerator will work as well?

Malli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, from what I hear it will, when it starts to go dormant take the plant Wrap it in some lfs, dust it with a bit of fungicide, and put it in the fridge, make sure it doesnt freeze, and in 3-4 months pot it up and grow it again! p.s. Please note I have not tried this but it seems to work very well for other people, in fact Peter d`amato recomends it for people who can`t give them a natural dormancy!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

The refridgerator works fine for dormancy. I used mine a couple years ago with no problems. I left my VFTs in their 3" pots and placed each pot in a ziplock bag after trimming off any dead leaves. I didn't use any fungicide but since you seem to be having problems with fungus Malli, it would probably be a good idea to give your plants and pot a fungicide soak before bagging them up (let them drain well before bagging them). Fungicide won't hurt and could help your plants. I then placed them in the shelfs on the door. If I placed them anywhere else in the 'fridge they disappeared into the back where they were forgotten for weeks at a time. I preferred them in plain site where I could see them and remember to check for fungus and drain the water out that had condensed inside the baggie.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, the 24 hr submersion did NOT work for the aphids or whatever teeny green bugs are feasting on my vft, so what insecticide would you recommend?
    as for the fridge method, what temp should it stay above, and should I keep each pot and plant moist with added waterings or mistings?

thanks so much!

Malli

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'fridge can be at whatever temp it is already set at so long as nothing freezes. Though brief freezes don't usually bother VFTs aside from killing the leaves that got frozen.

I have used flying insect sprays containing pyrithrum with some success. I don't use it unless I have to as the petroleum products in many sprays can harm VFTs.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Malli @ Sep. 07 2003,11:13)
    as for the fridge method, what temp should it stay above, and should I keep each pot and plant moist with added waterings or mistings?[/QUOTE]
    As stated, above freezing is fine (someone else said he keeps his in the shelf on the door). Keep the soil damp, but not wet. I dont recommend misting at all. Any excess moisture on the leaves just invites rot. Check out the dormancy topic in General discussions, Im sure most of your questions are already answered there.

Good Luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, if the pestiscide is bad for the vft, then do you suggest the submersion again? None of the the other house plants in my house have aphids, nore the other vft, so its not like they came from something inside.
    as for the dormancy, thanks for the tip on the topics [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    I have just once question: to leave in the pot, or not to leave in the pot ?
    The dente *looks* better, none of the traps have since turned black. I intend to treat again with the fungicide, and to do the akai ryu at the same time, maybe the fungicide will kill the aphids, lol
    will the 34 watt plant florescent I have be bright enough to do the plants any good?
    there are baby plantlets in with the dente, should I repot them? how do I do that? is there a topic on that?
    thanks so much, I so appreciate all this help!

Malli

9. Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast