Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with my vft :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am relatively new to vft's but I have 2 [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    My family is very plant oriented and I have a kind of "green thumb" with most plants. My parents did some research and decided to get me a vft for my birthday as conditions in my home are right. I have the 'Dente' and 'akai ryu' varieties. I just recieved the akai ryu variety recently.
    I believe both are planted in a peat mixture. They recieve and hour or 2 of direct morning sun and full-ish indirect light for the rest of the day. Both are watered with distilled water and kept constantly moist, and have trays to hold the water. Unfortunately I let the dente variety flower before I knew better.
    I have a problem with the dente. I am seeing what looks like mildew spots on the leaves and they turn black and fall off very quickly. When I recieved the plant, It had many decent sized leaves, now it has 4 small traps. While the plant continues to make new trap shoots, before long, the new traps develope black along the edges and down the stem of the trap.
    Is there anyone who might be able to help me fix this and save the plant?
    Thanks in advance

Malli

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Malli

Welcome to the forums...and what will probably be a new plant addiction. hehe Allllll the addicts start with a flytrap or two. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

First off, how long have you had these plants? Depending on where your plants came from, they may have received poor care prior to arriving at your house (tap water, traps being triggered, etc.). So sometimes a new plant's decline isn't related to the new owner. Also, depending on how long you've had it, it could be just the natural dying off of traps which have fed several times and are spent (especially if it were played with). You may want to flush your pots with distilled water several times to wash out contaminants from its "previous life."

Also, your conditions sound good but one thing they do need is good air circulation. If they are out in the open, they should be alright but if they are enclosed in a tank or something like that, then mold/mildew can quickly become a problem with warm, moist, stagnant air.

They might like a little stronger light than they are getting but that shouldn't make your traps die like that. If they are in a window, depending on where you live, they can get pretty hot too so you might want to check out the temps at their location.

These are just some thoughts. I'm sure more people will offer some suggestions.

I hope your dente comes around. You'll enjoy your VFTs. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your "mildew" could be powdery mildew. It occurs in stagnant damp conditions. If that is what you have just remove anything around it that is causing the stagnantness. I would then recomend a fungucide. Here are a few fungucides that will not harm your plant: 3336 Cleary, Domain, and Captain. ********** sells 3336 Cleary and a few others.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Wes

I have also found that Orthenex does not harm. Some Orthenex products are both Insecticides and fungucides. I hope this helps and someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Wesley:
    what would cause stagnantness? there is moss in the pot with the trap, might that do it? The traps look like they have black mouldy spot on them, and black all around the most dead part, so I'm thinking the fungicide is a good thing. I live in B.C. Canada, are any of these products available here?
    PlantAKiss:
    The dente I have had since the end of May, the Akai ryu I've had for about 2-3 weeks. My parents had the plant before me, and I think took relatively good care of it. They may have watered it with tap water, but only for a short time, and the water they have is not treated with any chemicals (such as chlorine).(still, if you think I should flush it I will-please describe this! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img])I don't think it is natural dying off, as the size of the plant has decreased greatly, and the traps haven't even been used before they begin to go black.
    Both plants sit on the window sill. When you say stagnant conditions, would moss attribute to that? There is some growing in the pot with the plant.
    I would think the temp. wouldn't be more then 85 * F at MOST, since the light is in-direct except for in the morning. Is that too high? I had them at the end of the sill where they get the most light, but I could move them in front of the open window, to cool them down.
    so... whats the concensus? fungicide?
    please help, I've become rather attached to these plants, and am a little frusterated as to the condition of the dente....
    thanks

Malli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops didn't mean to repeat about the moss there.... heh

Malli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mali,
    "Stagnantness" (if there is such a word, lol [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ) is caused by lack of air circulation. Like if you have them in a tank. Since they are on the widow sill....Do they get any air circulation? you could open the window a bit (until it gets cold out).
    I think Plantakiss is right, they could use more light. VFT's typically like several hours of direct sun way down in N carolina, which has stronger sun that B.C. Canada, so I think you should slowly acclimate them to about at least 5 hours of direct sun, maybe even more.
    Flushing the pots is a process of just over watering them with pure water for a while, and letting it drain through the medium. This should wash out impurities in the soil.
    Good luck, I hope it pulls through for ya!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't sound too much like a lack of light, the leaves would be limp and etoliated. I'd try a little fresh air. Are they solid black spots or does it look like the edge of the leaf or trap is burning a little? Also are the leaves curling at all? Normal death from what i've seen on a vft is the trap dying off then the whole leaf slowly turning black and going limp down to the substrate. Usually if it starts along the edges of the leaf it's something else.

Silly question of course, but might your parents have given it a little fertilizer? Are the black spots the leaf or something on the leaf? (can you scratch any of it off at first?)

Oh also, i'm kind of curious, is the flower still attached?
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Well, I've gotten here too late to give you any advice. That's been done already LOL! Anyway, I'll give you advice about your posts. When you see a mistake in your post, click the thing up in the top righthand corner that says EDIT. It'll take you to and area that you can correct mistakes in.

Good luck with your VFT!
    FTG
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast