User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: there dieing what I am doing wrong here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

I started my terrorium about a month ago maybe a bit less. I have several plants in it. 6 flytraps 1 pitcher plant and 1 sundew. All of these plants are starting to shrivel up now. I don't know what is wrong here. I used distilled water and there VERY wet (you touch the peatmoss and water gushes up). I planted them in plane peatmoss. I have a 50watt plantbulb that I leave on between 9 and 10 hours a day. AT night I turn it off (my room is about 78 degrees at night). I have a lid on this tank so there is plenty of humidity during the day and on into the night. I did force feed 2 of the plants. One of them I fed small chunks of worms, the other a live fly (it smacked the fly with a swatter but it was still moving a bit). Those traps turned black and rotted away about 3 days later. I was told it was cause the traps are not produceing there juices, and the traps do look dry on the inside of the traps.

I can't figure anything wrong here? Give them good water, got the right peatmoss (there is no mixed in stuff just plane ordinary peatmoss). They get plenty of light and heat?

The temp inside this tank is about the same as it is outside. I have 1 plant outside and its doing great. Anybody see any problems. Only things I can figure is either 1. Its too hot with that bulb, or 2. That bulb isn't produceing what the plants need (but it is a plantbulb). The light is incadisent (or however its spelled).

I think there is still hope for them but if something isn't done soon I fear every one of them will die

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For one I think it may be too wet try watering less. Another they don't need that much humidity ditch the lid so you can get some air circulation in there and that will help as well, if you feel the need when you feed your plants you can put the top back on so the "food" doesnt get away.

Also it sounds like you are feeding your plant bugs that are too big they should only take up about a third of the trap. If you have a small plant and you cant seem to find bugs that small go to the petstore and see if they sell flightless fruitflies Technically though they realy dont need to eat and will not starve if they dont. The bugs only serve as a fertilizer to them.

Also Im not sure if the lighting is right you may want to check to make sure its not putting off too much heat for the plants and Im sure somebody else here can help you out on what kinds work best.

By the way excellent description of your plants growing conditions we get alot of people who just say something "like its dieing help!" Not too much to go on unfortunately

Oh and if I havent welcomed you to the forums yet...
    WELCOME
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my only idea aside from ""clown's is add a little sand to the peat, follow clown's and my advice, and all should go well
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cause is probably what has been mentioned about the water level etc.

However as far as the incandescent plant bulbs go. They produce a huge amount of heat to the point where in order to get enough intensity out of them they end up frying the plants quickly. Try laying a thermometer down next to the plants when the light is on and see what kind of reading you get. Just make sure the red bulb is getting hit with the light as if it was a plant leaf. I wouldn't be surprised if it is much hotter than the air in the terrarium.
    Hope that helps
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would listen to all of them. And I would use Canadian Spahgnum Peat Moss, not regular peat moss, because you are only supposed to use Candian Spahgnum Peat Moss. You can find it at most gardening centers. Also, I would use a cool 40 watt bulb. One question; how far away are the lightbulbs from the plants? I would take the lid off at night for good air circulation.

Hope I Helped,
    Kevin
    \"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?\"

\"If vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all thier food?\" - Brandonk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think its the medium... Remember, the plants are designed to have poor soil... Thats not to say they can take anything, but peat IS fine... Investing in a better soil later on will likely improve conditions, but with plants like VFTs and Sundews, you don't have to be overly concerned with the medium...

Too much water tho for sure... Can you see how deep the water is thru the glass on the aquarium? If so, you would want the water table (right where the peat is underwater, as opposed to just damp) to be about... three to four inches BELOW the surface... Maybe five. I'm just guessing on this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are good ideas I will for sure try. Idon't care much for the idea of changeing the soil cause that means I will have to dig them up and take a chance on hurting them even more. The Water is about 1 inch below the plants so I will start letting more water evaperate. I do lift the lid at nighttime to allow air circulation. Does it matter what kind of light I use? I know I got some 20 watt clear bulbs downstairs. However they are not plant bulbs like this one was advertised as. The traps are about 6 to 8 inches from the bulb. I think you may be right on frying them I just got home and the one plant is burnts looking (looks like someone took a lighter and cooked it). It is also the plant that had traps up in the air instead of on the ground like the others. For the time being I think I will put a lower wattage bulb in there and see what happens.

Thanks again for the advice, hope this will help

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I wouldnt bother with the soil quite yet it sounds like the plant needs rest not more poking around it youll just shock it and its not that serious at the moment. But keep it in mind when you take them out for dormacy.
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast