What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big can flytraps get?

T

traptfly

wink.gif
I was just wondering since i have a small flytrap now how long before it will get bigger or start to grow flowers and will i have to put it in a bigger pot and if so what kind of soil would i put in the pot
confused.gif
and i was also wondering how big can the plants actually get?
rolleyes.gif

Unless you want seeds cut off the flower, by bigger do you mean traps larger, or more leaves? For soil go by some SPAGNAUM peat moss, if it don't say spagnaum, don't buy it! Mix some perlit in thier too, i think it should be a 50/50 ratio. And if roots start coming out of the bottum or it looks just to big for the pot, repot it, try no to disturb the roots
biggrin.gif
hope all that helps
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how long before it will get bigger or start to grow flowers ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It depends. How large is your Flytrap? Are you growing it outside? If not, is it getting a lot of light?

Mike
smile.gif

Hello,

VFT'S are fast growing, but slow to mature. It may take another 2 to 3 years before you get full size traps. VFT'S usually from seed take 3 years to flowering stage. I believe it is 5 years to full Maturity.

If you have it in a 3 inch pot now and it's a single plant, that should be sufficient size for quite awhile.

I would repot it in fresh media after every dormancy, however.
This will help keep the soil PH low which they enjoy!

This is a hobby of patience; if you want instant gratification, order a double potted mature plant from this site like I did.

Hope this helps.
Gary

Back