Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About to Recieve first VFT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought up yet another question!!! Sorry for all those people sick of me by now! I am planning to place my vft on a window-sill in my bathroom facing north (I think) and not really move it. Therefore, although I do plan to take care of it and treat it as well as possible, putting it into dormancy next winter seems like a lot of work for one plant. How long do you think a VFT can survive with constant watering and a constant temperature of about 69-72 degrees F?

Wado,

You have a VFT with roots coming out of the bottom? If it is coming out of dormancy, I would repot, BUT this is what I would do:

Get a bigger pot and try to get ALL the dirt out of the old one. That way you do not distrub the roots or plant ( which is why I argue against repotting ) Add new soil to the bottom of the new pot, then place the plant ( with all soil still around the plant) into the new pot.

REMEMBER: these plants get nothing from the soil...that is why you really do not have to repot. So leaving the old soil with the new doesn't matter.

If you have the time, make a 'tea' after you have repotted the plant. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I think if you HAVE to repot, that is the best way. That is the only way I repot my plants ( carnivorous ) and they seem to go through the least amount of shock.

Just don't do it during its growing period. ONLY do this when the plant is coming out of dormancy.

Now next question [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Nrbelex:

I never get sick of questions. That is why these froums exsist... for people to get information and share it. and have fun ( just stay away from Rampuppy [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img])

You can put the plant anywhere that gets a lot of light. Since you are up north...the more light the better. Humidity isn't a big factor with this plant ( although this is up to some debate ) if the bathroom has good lighting, the plant will be happy

Dormancy isn't something to worry about until November. If you do not put your plant into dormancy, it will not last more than a couple of years. It will get weak and not produce traps, then die. Dormancy isn't that tough. There are several people that live in NY that grow these things. I am sure when the time comes you can ask them what they do. We also have a write up on dormancy under plant care. There will be help when that comes. Don't worry [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

The temps you will have should be fine. They thrive in mild conditions. Mid 70's to 80's are perfect!

Enjoy the plants now...Spring time is coming!!! :cheesy:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jaie, as I'm in Australia and in the middle of the growing season then I'll wait til spring. yes I do have a VFT with roots coming out the drain holes. They are about 2cm long but there is only 3 root poping out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Jaie, I would be lost without you guys!!!

- Brett

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ain't got nuthin' to add since its all been covered...I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forums to Brett. :-)

Keep us posted on how your plant is doing.

Suzanne :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, my vfts just arrived:):):):):):)!!!! I took off all of the coverings and put them on the sunniest window I could find. I filled their trays' with disilled water and although all of their traps are closed, they look great!!! I already had a fly go near them but since all the traps are closed, he couldn't go in [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img].

Thanks!!!

-Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to post crash but I just ordered 3 green and 3 red dragons. I recently bought a kit from Lowes (like Home Depot) that had a common VFT, sundew, and some variety of pitcher plant. The kit included potting medium (peat, perlite, and sphgnum) and bare root plants. The VFT is doing great, the sundew is coming around, the pitcher plant started growing and quit. I plan to put them all in a larger container and create a mini-bog. Hope it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dyflam. You'll be really impressed with the Red and Green Dragons - they are much more colourful and the green dragon grows like a weed [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12