Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! My VFT are dieing, I dont know how to help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that fish rocks are not good for CP potting. Are your fish rocks straight out of the bag or did you wash them first?

Also, the rocks prevent the sphagnum peat moss from receiving light and therefore the moss will not grow. VFT and sphagnum moss makes good "roommates" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]. Remove the rocks and let them live in co-habitation [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K, I think im gonna need to rebuy moss then. What type of moss and all this? Cause the moss is covered by some normal dirt and then the rocks. Im sure its dieing or gonna die. Thus I should probally transplant no? My plants are already taking a dieing plunge and unless this distilled water helps transplanting them will do nothing more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

You need to get Spagnum pete moss. Most people mix it with perlite to airate the mixture. Stay FAR away from conventional potting soil.
    Good luck!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I have pretty good luck with Schultz Canadian sphagnum peat moss. You can find it in most garden centers in with the rest of the potting soils. Just make sure that what ever the brand is, it does not have fertilizer in it.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal dirt is not good for CPs. They are nitrogen-rich and will slowly kill your VFT [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

When you buy your peat moss, make sure it's labeled "Sphagnum" peat moss [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

You can mix it 1:1 with perlite or sand (washed until water clear, if playground type). Some hardware stores like Lowes or Home Depot sell dryed long-fibered Sphagnum moss, which is also a very good potting medium for CPs.

What ever you decide to buy is fine, just get your VFT repotted ASAP, while it's still alive [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Brita is not 'Betta' for VFT'S. Rain water, Distilled water, bottled R.O. water (no sodium).

I use Pure Canadian Sphagnum peat, it's the most acidic. I then mix it to almost to equal parts perlite. Silica sand is fine, not regular sand like beach sand, too much calcium, salts. etc.

The thing about sand however, is that it tends to gather at the bottom eventually, where perlite seems to stay in place better. Sand does look more natural, though. I don't think your pretty rocks at the top is hurting anything. They are large enough that enough oxygen is still reaching the medium. Your rocks could cook the plants if put in Sunlight because of heat reflection. Rocks retain heat. Remember, you are not dealing with a common house plant. VP'S need a sterile environment; over and out. Pure Soil and Pure water! That's how they evolved into Carnivores in the first place.

The book 'The Savage Garden' helped me tremendously. I bought mine from Amazon, used for half price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12