Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My VFT are dieing, I dont know how to help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crap, My VFT were good when I bought them (2) and Im new at VFT growing. Well one was very well off,... the other look like it had just started. Now the small one died from its leafs turning black (and traps) and just decays. Now the second one is having the same thing?

Heres some pics:

Notice Left side... the leave just turns black.
    Now look at the bottom leaf... it turns black before the trap?

Closeup of the trap that has its leaf turning black... how did this occur?

Another look at the plant...

Another look at it...

What do I do? I had them in there original growing pots... it was a moss type soil? Now, the small one started todecay when it was in those... so I planted the good one in a pop bottle to try to and give it more moister? I think thats why they are turning black. I spray it like 3 times a decay.. it seems to do a TAD better.. could just be thinking they are doing better..

But Its in a dirt soil surrounding (still in its moss pot) with some fish rocks on the top to make it look pretty.

What do I do? The leafs and every part seems to rot and decay I see no moss or anything wrong? They just die.

Also, I started leaving it outside lots and they dried out and turned black.. so ive been growing it indoors for a week or two and its doing better but still dieing. What can I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eek. Was reading that I shouldn;t give it tap water? Why? Ive been giving it that..... whats bad about it? Could that be the problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya big big problem,go out and buy some cheap distilled water for under a dollar per gallon.and also try rinsing the root system with that distilled water to get any minerals that may have built up in the soil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.
    Tap water contains minerals, salts and chlorine, all of which burn the roots of carnivorous plants over time. Their roots are generally only used to suck up water, as there isn't much else for them in the impoverished soils they live in. All the stuff that normal plants suck up through the roots are instead absorbed through the leaves in the form of insects!
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So can I buy bottled water and use it? Or do I need Distilled water? What If I let water sit and dochlorinate it... is that still good?

Shoopdawoop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy aquafina, which is 1 liter of distilled water for a buck. Just buy distilled water, a buck for a gallon of it. Never buy "Natural Spring Water" It has more minerals than tap water. If your in a pinch, Use Tap water that been filtered through one of them pur or brita things, but dont do it often.
    Oh boy.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Welcome to the forums Sherkborg,

Distilled, RO (reverse osmosis), and rain water can be used to water VFTs. You need to rinse the soil thoroughly to get the mineral build up flushed out or repot them in new peat moss. I can get distilled water for 72 a gallon incl. tax at the grocerie store

Tap water will still have the minerals in if it sits to dechlorinate and boiling the water tends to concentrate the minerals.

Avoid getting spring water or any bottled water that's had stuff added to make it taste better. They usually have minerals in them naturally or add minerals to them for flavor.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I bought 8L of no salt, no minerals destiled water. =)

So another side question.... is this why my plant is turning black? It seems healthy but it keeps dieing with no signs of why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast