What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

De-Ionised water?

• Thread starter tricky
  • Start date
I was in Homebase today and looking for distilled i saw De-ionised water, is it the same as distilled or is it bad?
James

Deionized water is another form of purification than distilled.
Distilled is a method where the water is evaporated and then condensed, leaving behind the salts/minerals and other nonvolatile contaminants. Deionized is produced by passing the water through canisters of tiny beads. Inside the beads are chemicals with a charge (either - or +). As the water is passed by these beads, the charged ions in the water are attracted into the beads of the opposite charge and remain there. Eventually the beads run out of charge.

Each method has its plus and minus but both will produce water that is very acceptable to any CPs.
Tony

Just a note, while deionized water is suitable to plants, it is ultimately toxic to humans, so don't drink a lot of it. The lack of electrolytes in deionized water creates a hypotonic situation in your blood which causes water to inflate and rupture your blood cells.

Just a clarification about hypotonic solution.

A normal person with good kidney function drinking pure water (with no electrolytes) would not cause their blood cells to lysis (inflate & rupture). That only happens if pure water is injected directly into the blood stream. That's why the MD's on TV never said, "Nurse, start a sterile water IV..."

A normal kidney (both of them) will just excrete any excess water from the body (urination). I also assume that most people drink other beverages and consume food containing important electrolytes needed my the body to function correctly.

So, drinking pure water in itself would not cause any long-term harm for the average healthy person.

Just my 2 cent in the pot
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Guest @ June 10 2002,10:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just a note, while deionized water is suitable to plants, it is ultimately toxic to humans, so don't drink a lot of it.  The lack of electrolytes in deionized water creates a hypotonic situation in your blood which causes water to inflate and rupture your blood cells.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Err, this is not entirely true. While deionized water is hypotonic to cells, so is distilled, RO, and tap water. The human body is perfectly capable of ingesting water. Just don't inject water straight into the blood stream, and you'll be fine.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Just don't inject water straight into the blood stream, and you'll be fine.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'll try but it'll be a struggle!
JAmes

Back