Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another newbie here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

What is Canadian Tire potting soil? If it's regular soil use for everyday regular plants, it probably is not good for carnivorous plants. Stick to just Sphagnum moss (live or dry), peat moss, sand, and perlite.

On a side note to your question about "he" or "she". I read either in a book or on the internet (I forget where [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] ) that the name Venus Flytrap (Dionaea: goddness Diana) origin related to the appearance of the trap to a female part. I won't mention that part in public [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] .

So I guess that would make the VFT a "her"... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Veggita :-) I keep the lid on mine too. The lid though is slatted throughout for really good airflow. Although this doesn't allow for keeping warmth in too well! The terrarium seems to be keeping at about 70. I've been toying with the idea of a fan as well, except that I don't want it to cool it off even more. A fan might work better for me if I had a heat lamp or something going there, then it would be a great idea! :-)

Thanks for the info. on perlite wickedthistle! Rice crisps eh? Is perlite nummy to munch? LOL

I'm glad the capensis are hardy. That means I won't be able to kill it too easily, then maybe I'll have a CP for awhile! ( I seem to quite often refer to my plant as an "it" as well. I'm not too concerned though, once I get obsessed, then I'll get scared!

Sorry waycool...Canadian Tire soil was just where I bought it. I don't believe they actually have their own brand name. I'm not sure what the brand name was on the soil. All I know is the bag said it was organic and blended with peat moss and "other ingredients". Judging by the look of it, there is perlite in it but I don't know what else. I should be able to find sphagnum moss at my local garden center I suppose eh?

Yeah, I think we all know the "part" you're referring to! Venus makes sense, I mean...all of us girls are Goddesses...Haha! Unformtunately, in today's society...in many cases "flytrap" can be pretty realistic too. *YUCK*! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    To live we must learn to forgive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

welcome to the forums

well every one has seemed to ansered your question the only thing I can say is noooooooooo plant food no matter how mild the is however one that may be safe its called superthrive
    that might help boost your plant [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    The medicated state of mind you find is overrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kyle6002. Duely noted and forever remembered! Never again. I don't have superthrive. So I'll just try to leave her alone for awhile now and see if she'll perk up for me.

Only a repeat question though...do you think 70 degrees is suffiecent for her? And if she's going dormant this early should I let her and put her into a cooler area? Oops...also, the drosera I will be adding to the same terrarium...will it harm them to put them in the dormant temps. with the VFT?

(These are questions I remember asking, but I think I asked so many that they may have been over-looked in everyone's efforts to answer all my questions effectively!
    To live we must learn to forgive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well sorry for over looking that question well 70 isn't too bad but I live in canada and I leave mine outside during the day in direct sunlight and it gets up to 90 and above sometimes
    and it does not seem to hurt and my ac is on in the house and its set about 70 I think u should maybee try to give it a little more heeet then that it sertenly wont hurt it

if you are adding those other plants it probably would be better to heat things up a little

if you are sure the vft is going dorment then yes let it go dorment just remember to bring it out of dormency before when u would normally would
    however if u are not sure your vft is going into dormency like I said heat things up a bit and keep the water lavel good if you are putting in dormency remember to give it a bit of mold killer so that no mold forms especially if it will be in a cool damp place

I hope that that ansers all your questions
    if not just message me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know Canadian weather too well...but it still seems to early for your VFT to be going into dormancy. If your terrarium is exposed to at least 4 hours of DIRECT sunlight and overall light exposure of 12-14 hours everyday, nature's signal for dormancy has not been triggered, unless the terrarium is located somewhere in poor lighting. Dormancy typically begins between Halloween and Thanksgiving, depending on your geographical location.

I'm also concern about that potting soil mix. When I see "blended mix", I think possible fertilizer (organic or inorganic) and regular top soil "stuff". Both of which is generally not something VFT should be potted in. Remember, VFT and other CPs are found naturally in "nitrogen-poor" soil, not nitrogen-rich "blended mix" soil [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

I know your VFT has already gone thru 2-3 re-potting, but if it (or "she") fails to thrive, you may want to consider re-potting in plain (unblended) peat moss/perlite/sand(washed) mixture.

Have fun [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waycool, That blended part and other ingrediants thing caught my attntion too.
    Carniverous Newbie, I would check what that "organic" and other ingredients is if you can. The "organic" part particularly bothers me. It is often used instead of the word manure. Generally carnivorous plants do best in Canadian sphagnum peat moss which is ground up Canadian sphagnum (also called LFS or long fiber sphagnum) mixed with perlite or silica sand. If, as Waycool suspects, the mystery ingredients are forms of fertilizer then you need to transplant asap.
    The temperature is fine. I live in Colorado and the temp ranges from ~50 at night to ~87 during the day. The humidity lately has been about 50% or lower. I keep them in trays of water for humidity and soil moisture.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

it is much too early for dormency i will agree waycool but it can happen and like I said u would have to bring it out of dormency early as well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast