What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFTs with Pets

S

Spiffy1

Would it be ok to keep small frogs in the terrarium with my VFT? How should I set up the sphagnum moss. soil, rocks, sand, or whatever else I need? Should I mix the sand and sphagnum moss or what? Any suggestions?

Hey Spiffy,

Welcome to the forums
smile.gif

You might want to check the General section. There is a similar topic there.

Pyro

Hey Spiffy

here is one link about animals in terrariums.

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=8&topic=509

The problem that I would think of has been answered in this thread.

You really do not want to disturb the plants too much. IF you planted them in the soil...you will have to clean it b/c of the animals in there. And some things that animals do might harm the plants ( and visa versa )

I would keep the two separate. Just my &#360.02
smile.gif

May I suggest an insect or spider?  I know this seems like a disaster waiting to happen, but a colorful spider or mantis that is too big for the plant might work out.

Insect fecal matter, usually quite dry (they can't waste water!), is easily removed from the environment, unlike other animals' waste.   Some bugs tend not to defecate until they eat, which means you can control it.  Carnivorous insects or spiders do not require much care, and eat the same bugs your plants do.

Some spiders are gorgeous, and will set up shop in a terrarium quite happily.  I had a mantis once that was nearly 6 inches long, and its single-minded killing/eating behavior kept me fascinated/horrified for hours!

--Steve

(Edited by steveo at 1:40 am on April 3, 2002)

I don't know about other insects, but definitely don't get a tarantula or a scorpion unless your plants are planted much higher than a scorpion can reach. A tarantula will wreck havoc since they can get to any part of the terrarium. I would think frogs could cause a lot of trouble by them jumping onto your plants.

This is my first VFT and I hope it works out well.  Thanks to everybody for your input.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from larry on 5:32 pm on April 3, 2002
I don't know about other insects, but definitely don't get a tarantula or a scorpion unless your plants are planted much higher than a scorpion can reach.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, these would be tough. I expect the dampness would be hard on them, too--fungus is a problem for tarantulas.

A web-weaving spider of some sort would work well. You can get standard garden spider (yellow and black, very pretty) right outside your door.

Larger jumpers or crab spiders should be good, too. Jumping spiders "dance" for each other, and come in a variety of colors. They are small, however, and are going to get eaten by the plants once in a while.

--SO

I once kept a jack russell in the same room as my VFT, and yes you guessed it, I got up one morning and my dog was gone, there was avery large bulge in one of the traps, poor Rex what a dreadfull way to go!! so in my opinion VFT's and pets don't mix!!

Back