What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observation I have noticed

I recently got about 10 *yup 10 hehe* Bulbs from this site. 1 of them was in a seperate package the others wadded into a big ball. Well the one in its own package is the healthiest and it is nearly full-grown Id guess. The rest of them are alive and growing slowly but surely.

Anyways on to the point. I have left all of these outside in direct sunlight (they get the sun all day just about in this spot). IT has been 80 to 90 degrees throughout the day. I have kept them VERY wet with Distilled Water also. They have been doing GREAT! However the Biggest one I have noticed is starting to get some blackspots on it, burns no doubt. So my observation is when the plants are younger direct sunlight don't hurt them, but as they get older it starts to take a toll on them. I have since moved the Bigger plant to a spot that only gets about half the sun as the others get.

I just wanted to share this info with everyone.

hmmm... Interesting (jots notes)
smile.gif
tounge.gif

i left my traps out one day too...and when i went to get them, 2 of them had a single brown dot on them...i was very careful, and i could scratch them off...so i don't think they were burns...i was wondering what they are?

It may be something besides the direct sunlight. Most of my vft's are in the part of my bog that gets full sun most of the day and besides the dead trap now and then and a little insect dammage they do fine. Here is a photo of one of my largest and oldest vft.

vft2.jpg

If you have them outdoors, I don't think that is an issue as much as "where you live
smile.gif
" What part of the country are you in?
There are some parts where direct light is ok, and others that aren't.

Also,

If the leaves are touching the soil, sometimes they will modl a little ( the brown spots ).

Or, remember, they are leaves and sometimes leaves die. One or two leaves isn't a big problem, it is when you have none left
wink.gif

Seriously, I don't think it is the sun, unless you live in the desert where the intensity is greater than say North Carolina.

Back