User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Akai ryu's leaves doing weird things...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Pyro @ Feb. 28 2003,1:17)
    I believe that BCK hit the nail on the head when he said it was likely that soil had just been washed away from the bulb of the plant. This happens all the time when top watering until the soil compacts to normal levels.[/QUOTE]
    That would be true, but I don't top water. I was just keeping the plants in about a quarter inch of water for about a week and the peat seemed almost completely waterlogged. Hmm, now i'm not sure if I want to leave them in the water 24/7 or do it every so often.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I missed that part [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Soil can stil compact when sitting in the tray though, it happened with all my Sarrs a while back. If it is an option, conside top watering your plant. I do this with all mine, it helps keep the soil flushed and you can do it on an erratic schedule to to simulate the various water levels it would experience in the wild.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem I have with top watering is if you have a mix of peat and perlite the perlite will float into some of your traps and trigger them. This really has nothing to do with the original topic but hey, neither do the last bunch of replies. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Ok, so that one's gone. Still not too sure what happened. The other one that was in the pot that was doing ok is now showing the same symptoms only slower. I still don't understand what would cause an 'Akai Ryu' to go from green to red to yellow and then I believe to brown...they don't even look like they're turning black like normal dead traps. Oh well, the rest of them are doing fine. Just wish I knew what it was that did it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert,but, what Darcie said about VFTS is true. They do grow in sandy poccosins ,wherin pine trees also occur. The roots tell the story-upto a foot deep(searching for water in wild grown plants).My information comes from various sources. Root length in plants always suggest a hunt for water(and minerals)during drought conditions,again,suggesting in its natural environ these plants go through dry spells. To confirm many people let the soil dry a little between waterings. Also VFTS have a tendency to pull themselves deeper into the soil at times through their roots(Dr. Samuel Vergio Miensinompe).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote (Vertigo @ Mar. 18 2003,12:41)
    Ok, so that one's gone. Still not too sure what happened. The other one that was in the pot that was doing ok is now showing the same symptoms only slower. I still don't understand what would cause an 'Akai Ryu' to go from green to red to yellow and then I believe to brown...they don't even look like they're turning black like normal dead traps. Oh well, the rest of them are doing fine. Just wish I knew what it was that did it in.[/QUOTE]
    Vertigo:
    Didn't I already answer this question? Your plants are too wet and getting crown rot. Those are the EXACT symptoms of it. Red Dragons are more sensitive to rot then other plants thats why it was the first to go. The green ment low light, the change to red is actually a shut down of the chloroplast revealing the underlieing pigment like that of a maple leaf (anyone who has seen a green red dragon leaf die will have seen it turn redish orange first). Then the plant removes the red/orange pigments (of which their are more of in even a green red dragon leaf) yeilding yellow. Finally the moisture and last of the pigments are removed leaving the leaf brown. When the leaf gets soggy it startd to decompose and becomes black.

These same color changes happen in normal leaves, but with less ovious contrasts.

Zappafan: Thank you for your support. Now all we need is to take everyong on a field trip, lol.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Darcie,

I guess I got a little lost in the post. I took the little guy out of the tray he was in, and put it a little closer to the light. If it's not too late, I guess i'd either see new growth, or whatever healthier looking leaves that are left pick up a little more. Thanks for the help.

8. Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234