User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Akai ryu's leaves doing weird things...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I know that akai ryu's are supposed to turn red...but why would green leaves on it turn a light red, then yellow, then look like they are dying off? I'm kind of confused. I have a smaller plantlet in the same pot, but it's producing leaves and little traps. I thought at first that this might happen when it comes out of dormancy, but it really has me confused now.

Any ideas? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Akai Ryu last year.

It died. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

It turns out that it needs large amounts of light to survive. My normal Vft's and South West Giant are still fine, growing very well, but have limited red coloration (more pink than red).

Mine did the same thing as you did, the leaves came up green, then yellow, then black, then death [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]

Best think you can do it get some artificial lighting as soon as possible, and keep them warm (min 20dc)
    Vft Grower from the UK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, they're not turning black yet...just going from green to red to orange to yellow and starting to look a little limp. I'm going to try some more light, right now I have 60w fluorescent on them...one more at least should do it. Just wondering what else it might be...I have a smaller one that's doing fine right in the same pot. The temp is usually about 82 degrees F. Do akai ryu's need a different amount of water than other vft's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience they do need less water, and less humidity.

Another thing which happened to mine was that it turned mouldy, whilst my other green Vft's in the same conditions were fine.

Keep the soil moist at all times, about 1cm of water at all times is what id recommend. (compared to 1" for normal Vft's).

As soon as you see any dead leaves, cut them off as soon as possible.

Good Luck [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Vft Grower from the UK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

You may be over/under watering or have too little light. However, I've had a few VFT decide to go dorment this spring and it could just be suisiding a few leaves. You may also have a more serious problem, but if the two plants live together, and only one is having trouble, I would guess shock or dormancey issues. Just keep an eye on it, and remove the leaves as they die. Like I said, I have one right now that is doing the same thing, today I just removed the last of it's leaves from last summer, now it's got all little mutant winter leaves (this proticular plant is a "typical" with a mutaion that sort of pulls it's own traps appart, very weird)
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Darcie @ Feb. 20 2003,1:24)
    You may be over/under watering or have too little light. However, I've had a few VFT decide to go dorment this spring and it could just be suisiding a few leaves. You may also have a more serious problem, but if the two plants live together, and only one is having trouble, I would guess shock or dormancey issues. Just keep an eye on it, and remove the leaves as they die. Like I said, I have one right now that is doing the same thing, today I just removed the last of it's leaves from last summer, now it's got all little mutant winter leaves (this proticular plant is a "typical" with a mutaion that sort of pulls it's own traps appart, very weird)[/QUOTE]
    As far as the water, I have them sitting in a quarter of an inch about maybe a little less, they're about six inches from the light source, but I moved them to about four last night. I think that the leaves were lifting the bulb out of the peat, I was looking at it last night and it's pretty close to the surface now. How deep should a vft bulb be?

I'm most likely going to try to repot it. Hopefully that does the trick.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Vertigo,
    The rhizome (bulb) is usually just below the surface, not more than a half inch in most cases.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ Feb. 20 2003,3:52)
    Hi Vertigo,
    The rhizome (bulb) is usually just below the surface, not more than a half inch in most cases.[/QUOTE]
    Ok, well i'm going to try and lower it a little bit, it looks like it is basically at the surface...see if that helps a bit. I was just suprised to see it go through that many shades.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast