What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring Blues

I understand when flytraps come out of dormancy the traps shoot upward (spring traps). But I was wondering if it normal for the traps to be no bigger than a 1/2 inch? They are really small. I suppose I was expecting bigger traps. Last year I had about 12 full size traps and three coming up (15 total). They were really nice big traps (even the Spring Traps were big). Or am I the impatient CP grower?

Thanks,
Travis

I've been having the same problem. On my Red Rosetted, it has about 6 old traps from last year and it's only sent up 3 tiny traps this spring. I can't even see any more coming. It has tried to grow 2 flower stalks though, so I assume it's ok.

Hey you got 2 flower stalks? My flytrap just grew 3 little traps and 2 are immerging.  But for the past 8 days it has done nothing.  The other flytrap I had crocked
sad.gif
coming out of dormancy.  It was doing fine but produced small traps then stopped growing and died. I believe I am seeing the same thing happen to this one
sad.gif
. This one dies I will get another and keep on trying :biggrin:.
Travis

(Edited by Travis at 8:51 pm on April 11, 2002)

My guess is that the plants are growing small traps because they aren' getting enough light.
At least that was the case with one of mine.

Nothing changed. If any thing the flytrap is getting a brighter light now because I moved it closer. Since I have the lights on a timer it is the same amount of light as before. The only thing that changed was the soil. As I order the soil from PFT.

Thanks,
Travis

Last year i made the mistake of letting my Vft flower, but it still survived, just grew slowly. 3 weeks ago when it came out of dormancy, the first thing it did was grow a flower stalk, i immediately cut this off and now it is growing 8 traps. The first leaf that grew is massive, but has a tiny trap which has not opened yet, and it is curling, but the other traps seem to be doing great. Anyone else have this problem with the first trap leaf of the year ?

I have the same thing occur. I think it natural because the plants know that the spring sun isn't very strong.

I have had 3 flower stalks growing out of my VFT, and now after i have removed them i still get very small growing traps.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Tristan on 9:39 am on April 14, 2002
I have the same thing occur.  I think it natural because the plants know that the spring sun isn't very strong.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Me too

My traps are still small. But I still signs of life as a flower stalk is coming up.
smile.gif
I will have to wait to cut the flower stalk it is to small yet. For awhile I thought my Flytrap was going to die because it stopped growing. I tend to believe Tristan is right. All I have to say is the traps may be small but at least the plant is alive. :cool:

I have been having the same small trap problem but without the flower stalk complication. I know (am pretty sure) it's getting enough light because the Green Dragon 1 inch away from it is still growing really large traps. Wierd!!!

Back