What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why woln't my vft eat bugs

fre8train

BANNED
when i feed my green  dragon a baby cricket it woln't trigger and snap closed on the prey.  the cricket walked up inside the trap ontop of the trap and then back through the trap while never being eatten.  There are new traps being developed and healthy looking ones currently that dont want to eat any bugs, also there are the oldest traps are turning black and discollored and dying off which seems normal. this is the case for all three of my venis flytraps plants none of them eat bugs. I feed them water from my fridge which went through a filter and then i run it through a britta water filter. i then water them and let them drip into a resivor at the bottom of the terrarium for humidity. please if you have any help.. JOe

I think your traps are exhausted.They either ate more times than the are able to eat or they are too old.

could be the water.
Britta filters are no good for CPs, they dont remove minerals that make water hard.

you need to use rain water or distilled water only..
over time hard water will weaken a VFT.

Scot

How many times have the traps closed?  Most traps will only close 3 to 5 times before they quit closing.

As Scot said carbon cartridge filters aren't any good for removing dissolved minerals.  Water softeners are worse as they repace minerals with salts.  R. O. filters are good.  They remove 95% or more of the minerals in your water.

I have never closed the traps or fed them anything before, they have always just grown in toil. I did not want to kill the traps with placebo popsiclestick pokes. As you said they only open and close a few times.
    I must find a RO filter if this is the case! My refrigerator filter, then britta filtered, to distilled is not cutting it anymore.  I read that bottled water not healthy due to the unlabled salts in the water, is there any brand of bottled water that is plausible for carniverous plants that is heard of, i am short of rain in southern California.

I've used 'store brand' distilled water. Check the lable. Distilled should be salt and mineral free, but some brands add these to improve flavor or as nutritional supplements. I switched to RO water simply because I can get it for half the price of distilled. The 5 gal container I bought cost me $7.14, but I can refill it for $1.65 (33¢/gal)

Back