User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aquarium water for fertilizer?

yellowjacket1717
    I've read a lot about not using fertilizers on fly traps. Could you use aquarium water? When I clean my fresh water aquarium I use the dirty water to water my house plants or outdoor gardens. Today I used it on my fly traps, the first time. Will they be ok? Maybe I shouldn't have fertilized because I will be putting them into dormancy soon. It will be my first dormancy with the plants. I have had my 3 fly traps since March 2003 and they did real good.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say thats probably not a very good idea. You probably do not use distilled water to fill your aquarium, in which case the harmful dissolved minerals in the water which kill VFTs are still there. Also VFTs grow best in nutrient poor soils, using aquarium water would just load the soil up with ammonias, nitrates, nitrites, ect ect.. For best results I recommend you water only with distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water.
    As for dormancy I recommend you read the Dormancy thread at the top of General Discussions. You should find all the info you need there.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

yellowjacket1717
    Do you think my fly traps will die? I took such good care of them this long I'd hate to see them die with this one mistake.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt they will die. One watering isn't likely to cause too much damage. I would empty out all the aquarium water from the trays, then water with pure water through the pot a few times to flush out the bad water.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.