What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much food?

• Thread starter tricky
  • Start date
Over the last 3 days my vfts have caught 4 insects, i fed it one (a weird gold bug) andi left my conservatory door open and 4 blue bottles were buzzin around in there, when i got home from school today 3 traps were closed and they had little black silohettes when i held them up to the light, so thats 3 flys in one day and 4 in the last 3 days, is thios too much or isnt there a limit?
James

p.s. there is stil one bluebottle buzzin around which i might try and catch later

How many insects did each plant get? If just one plant got all 4 I wouldn't let it feed on anything else for at least 1 month. But, if each plant got one or 2 insects, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Good luck

the more it eats the faster it grows
biggrin.gif

I've never worried about my VFT's over feeding themselves.  I figure they can eat however much they can catch.  Besides the traps will stay shut for several days while they digest what they caught so it will be hard for the plant to over feed itself.
Just pat it on the head and tell it how proud you are of its prowess at catching flies
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

good! i just will leave it to itself for the next few weeks then!
James

yesterday after school, i discovered it had caught 2 more, totalling 6 bugs so i put it in a dome, with only a few TINY spaces yet in the morning a mosquitoe was inside, but he never got caught so I let him go and the silly bugger flew straight into a spiders web!
James

Thats what I call a greedy fly trap!

BURP

lol

I'd wait a long time until you feed it next. Or it feeds itself. Slap it when it reaches in the fridge. Oh wait... we are talking about fly traps aren't we... darn.

Back