What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Producing the flower

When will my VFT Produce it's flower? The stalk is roughly 3inches long, and has the bud on the end which looks like it has white petal tips coming out from it, it's been like that for a week now.
Thanks
Ash
wow.gif

you better cut it off before it flowers,it will take production away from trap making and put all its strength into flowering and possibly kill the plant itself.im everyone else will back me up on this
wink.gif

CPSINC is right. Don't let it flower. If you do it puts all of its energy into the flowers and it could die. If you chop it off it will grow bigger because if you don't and it still lives it may just stay that size. CHOP!CHOP!CHOP IT!!!!

That last post is hard to understand.

If you chop it off now the plant itself will grow bigger in the future.

If you don't chop it and you let it flower then it will probably stay the size it is right now IF it doesn't die.

At this point it is probably too late to chop the flower, it really needs to be done right when you first notice it.

As for when it will open, mine didn't start opening flowers until the stalk was well over 12" tall. So you probably have some time to wait

I have grown Venus Flytraps on and off for several years. I have let my plants flower. However, the plant begins to produce small traps and looks more like a seedling, but also divides. I have noticed that once the VFT flowers, it will begin to produce outcrops of smaller plants around the original rosette. I have gone from two to seven VFT by letting them flower in my latest terrarium. These smaller plants are not from seeds. These plants just divided after I cut off the dead flowers. I have not killed a VFT by letting it flower, I have always just had the plants divide themselves into smaller plants. It takes several years to get them back to full size.

Just wanted to pass along my experiences with flowering VFTs.  
smile.gif

Forgot to ad a picture of the current divisions on one of my VFTs. Once the plants start to go dormant, I will separate them into new pots or another place in the terrarium.

Divided VFT

this was a duplicate post.

Hi !!
I have a pot with a lot of VFT and this spring I decided to let flowers 5 stalks,and to cut the other 15 stalks. I planted 10 of these in the same pot of the mother plants. Today I found that three of these stalks have produced other little VFT, one for each.
I think that if you have few plants (less than ten) is better that you cut them off and use the stalks to produce new VFT.
On the contrary if you have more than ten plants you can decide to let flowers some plants (10%-20%). You'll obtain some seeds and you'll see beautiful flowers.

Regards

rajah

im definitely no cp expert, but a few years back I had a vft for about a yr, and I was so excited that it finally flowered. Soon after, it died. I'm not saying that was definitely the cause, but it may have been.

Now with the internet i know so much more, but if its already out i wouldn't cut it off since its out already.

Back