User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help - is my son's vft on it's deathbead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Welcome to the CP club.

Poster 1: Make sure you are using distilled water. Otherwise, I think all your plants traps are worn out. It should recover np with some time to grow new traps. Just remove the dead leaves as they go.

Poster 2: Their are several things that could be your plants problems. They may be going crash dorment, one of mine did this recently. However, if I had to make a stab in the dark, I'd say your conditions are too wet. Terrarium VFT really shouldn't be kept in standing water, weekly tray watering to saturation should be effective in keeping the soil moist without letting the water become stagnent and yeild root rot.

It's hard to say exactly what the issue is, could you tell us a pattern of leaf death (how it spreds accross the leaf and what colors you get)?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

However, if I had to make a stab in the dark, I'd say your conditions are too wet[/QUOTE]

Darcie, just to confuse things, what do you think of this: I keep all my VFT's on the tray method 24/7 in 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water....That's pretty wet. They all thrived. How wet is too wet? I know they do generally grow where it's not always waterlogged, but I find (in my limitted experience) that they are quite water-hardy (can you say "water-hardy?")

Things that make you go "hmmmmm." [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my VFT's the same way as schloaty and all of them except for the 'Akai Ryu' don't really have a problem at all. Even though they do well like that, i'm still thinking of letting them 'drip-dry' for a day or two to allow more airation of the soil.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I do. About a week or two soaking in water, then let the pan dry out for a day or two.

The first poster has a ten year old. What's the chance that the kid doesn't play with the traps? None!!

Don't play with the traps, or they'll die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why i'm curious as to the books. One of six must have said this.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

His plant is not in a terrarium.

He was talking about the clear cover that comes with the plant that should be removed.

I do the same as above as far as the water issue.

You should have them always in water if in Sunny Conditions;
    artificial lighting could cause rhyzome rot is left too long waterlogged.

I believe Darcie when she told him the traps are spent.

It will make new ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Hi
    Feeding: You should feed the vft 2 times a month something like a cricket but not a rolly polly , make sure the cricket is 3/4 or smaller then the trap or when te trap closes after a week or so it mite start to grow mold on th pray.

Lighting: A vft can have direct sunlight. If you use grow lights make sure they are turned on and over the plant for about 14-16 hours a day.

Watering: vft love water. Water when soil doesn't look moist.

Humidity: All vft's from my reserch love humidity and high temps in the higher 70's. Humidity should be aout 65% for a vft for it to grow.

Dont keep it in a platic cover thing throw that out and just take a fish bowl and cover it with that, so the oping of the fish bowl will be the base.

Have fun growing this plant. Hope it gets better and you are know going to love these plants. THE ARE ADDICATIVE. LOL--Phil [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    What is the Propability of the Propability?
    If someone is addictied to therapy how will you treat them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

The leafs are wrinkling because lack of light and to much Humdity. The leafs wrinkle and curl and become yellow and trhen the trap dies right. It happened to me whe i was a new bie to Cp's [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Use only distilled or rain water.
    What is the Propability of the Propability?
    If someone is addictied to therapy how will you treat them?

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast