What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need vft help

• Thread starter Fly*Trap*FANATIC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    care vft
F

Fly*Trap*FANATIC

I just got 2 vft's and I need help on raising them. Should I set them in a sauser with water and if so how much water should be in it?  I live in Illinois and have been setting the vft's out to get light from about 1200 to about 700 is that ok. One of the vft's is turning kind of yellowish does that mean it's dying, getting sun burned, or not getting enough water? If you have anything to tell me about the vft's go ahead because I wasn't told how to take care of them.

Thanks for any help

Hi Fly*Trap*FANATIC,
Welcome to the forums
biggrin.gif
!

Here are a couple of links to get you started.  The first is the PFT flytrap care sheet.  You can also click on the 'Plant Care' link at the top of this page to get to the index of the other plant care instructions PFT offers:   Flytrap care sheet.

This next one is a must read.  It will answer many of the questions you haven't thought of yet and maybe one or two that you don't want to think about
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Flytrap FAQs

I live in Colorado so my climate is a little dryer than yours and doesn't get as hot during the summer.  I grow my VFTs outside in trays with ½" or less of distilled water.  They get full sun from about 8:OOam to around 1:30pm.  I occasionally let the trays dry out slightly before adding more water to them.  It is important that you use only purified water for your VFTs.  This can be distilled, rain, or reverse osmosis water, but not tap water that has gone through a carbon cartridge filter such as a Brita or Pur.  These only remove chlorine and other contaminants but not the disolved minerals.

alien.gif

edited @ 8:50pm, June 24, 2003

Some people can use their tap water. Most of us though are not so fortunate as to have tap water low in disolved minerals.

help my vft got soaked in mirical grow!.

i left my plant in the care of my aunt wile i was at scout camp for 2 weeks i came back it is all but dead and i found out my aunt waterd the terium that i keep it in with mirical grow, i removed all the dead leaves and put it a new triaium with new soil and waterd it about a week ago all i have is a small green stub with some black on the top of it is their any thing i can do to help it??

Fly*Trap*FANATIC,

It depend on where you live. As BigCarnivourKid said keep in about 1/2" of distilled, rain, or low mineral tap water. Keep it out of full HOT sun, but in partial sun.

datagen24,

The only thing I can tell you to do is keep watered with good water, and pray that it doesn't bit the dust. (forgive the expression.
wink.gif
)

Back