What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Dragon Help

• Thread starter MorbidMacaroni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flytrap
M

MorbidMacaroni

confused.gif
My Red Dragon i ordered just came in the mail. I opened him up and he looks a lil bad. i watered him right away and put him in the sun. I hope he does fine. This is my first time growing a red dragon,or a venus flytrap for that madder. Does anyone have any tips for growing the red dragon and for VFTs in general? Your help is much apreciated.

Hey MorbidMac,

First off, welcome to the forums!

Where do you live? And will your plant be outdoors all the time, or indoors? For lighting conditions, this may make a huge difference!

Basic stuff to know, only rainwater, distilled, or reverse osmosis water. No hamburger or other such "human food", VFTs like bugs! Keep it in a tray of water, it will suck up what it needs. Traps can open and close a couple of times each, so after a while some traps may not close, but they still provide the plant with energy from the sun like a leaf, don't cut anything off unless it turns brown.

As long as you used distilled or rain water you should be fine.  Give your VFT a little time to recover from being stuffed up in a dark container and banged around for however many days and it should come around.
smile.gif
If you havn't put it in a small tray of water yet do so.  VFT like their soil damp to wet but not waterlogged.  It will also help keep the humidity up around the plant a little bit.

Visit the FAQ section of this site for information. I forget the address, but if you go to the beginning you'll see a section about it in Announcements.
smile.gif

smile.gif
I live in ohio for your info,the plant will be spending alotta time indoors. But on the really sunny/warm days he'll be outside.also, thanx for all your help you guys. One more question,how much sun should this thing be getting,doesnt it need more sun than the other species?

I live in Colorado and once the night temps start staying in the high 40's I leave my flytraps outside 24/7.  They get about 5 hours of direct sun from about 8:30am to 1:30pm and are in the shade the rest of the day.  They will tolerate temp's down into the 30's for brief periods and can recover from light freeze's but will lose any frozen leaves.  They will need a rest period in the fall.  I stick mine in a ziplock in the fridge for 3 months with the date written on the bag.  Check them occasionally for fungus.  Some people put them in a cool room instead.  Whatever works is fine as long as they get 3 monthes of rest.  If they don't get that rest they will slowly decline in vigore and evetually may die.

Hi, Red Dragons are great vft`s to have, but you need to know that they are usually much smaller than a Green Dragon or a Common. I received a Red Dragon about 2 months ago and it`s about a 1/4 of the size of my other plants.

Also to keep them red they need TONS more light than the other varietes. Don't worry, the plant will probably come out of shock soon and be ready to eat yet again!
tounge.gif

Good luck!

- Brett

I've had one red dragon and even though it received the same care as the other VFTs, it expired.
sad.gif
It was never a strong plant. They just seem to be a weaker variety. I still want to try another one though.

Suzanne
p.s. Welcome to the forums!

www.cpfaq.com

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Please keep us up to date on your plant!!

Looking for an update !
biggrin.gif

how is your plant doing?

Back