What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gonna get me a vft

• Thread starter Mr X
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
M

Mr X

Ok, I was gonna buy a plant from this site, Should I go ahead and pay the extra few bucks to have them ship 2 in one container or stick with just 1?

Or should I just go to Home Depot, or wherever else they sell them...Any suggestions, someone said Home Depot in one of these posts. Any other places?

Was thinking about putting the trap in a Window Sill in a warm basement area where it's sunny/warm.

alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

Since PFT is nice enough to provide these forums, which are a fantastic source of information and community, it would be nice to buy your vfts from them.

Having said that, I've bought from Home Depot and some others, too, usually because I was there getting someting else, and I have no self control whatsoever. But do the right thing. Order from here!

Capslock

Should I get the Common/typical VFT or the Dente that is advertised on this site. 1 per pot or 2?

Suggestions?

I recommend getting the Green Dragon as I've been rather happy with the growth of mine over the last 18 months.

Whatever you do, I definately recommend getting the 2 plants in 1 pot, its just a little bit more money and gives you a better chance of having at least one happy plant.

Also, I recommend getting your first plant from here, they are in much better condition than the plants at my Lowes.
sad.gif

Yeah, I full heartedly agree. They take great care on growing, packaging and shipping here. Phil and Lynda are two great people to deal with as well.

I'd go for the double in a pot deal. Why not, it'll look fuller and larger while it's still young and then when it gets older you can just put it in seperate pots or a larger pot together.

My suggestion on type...one of each type of course.
wink.gif

Just a note on home depot and the other stores that "carry" these plants. They don't take care of them. Not right or even at all sometimes. The plants from PFT have been cared for from the start properly, the ones at other stores use the wrong conditions and water if they water it so it may be half dead before you get home.

On top of what everyone else has pointed out when you order from here they include a very detailed care sheet. Being that this is your first cp, it really is valuable information.

Casper

I will do just that, I will place an order tomorrow morning from this site, I'll go for the 2 traps in 1 container.

If these guys are rural to NC & SC I may be Ok, cause I'm just next door in VA......I plan on putting it in a Window Sill in a cozy basement anyway.

And as far as Home Depot, etc. Your probably right, It's kinda like shopping for fish at PetSmart and asking the salesperson a question that you already know, and of course he'll give the WRONG answer. I refer to them as PetStupid.......

Mr X
biggrin.gif

smile.gif
yah and the double potted plants seem more likely to go veggie for propigation
smile.gif
Green dragons are the best for beginners

i prefer the common for begginers , its the easiest one to grow in my opinion but i would go with greendragon because there so cool looking and vigorous and easy growing plants .

Get 2 in 1 pot. It will save you time and money from buying more. It will not stop with a VFT either. You'll buy sundews, butterworts, pitcher plants and neps after a few months too.

then you will be buying them from lows just to save them from a long drawn out death

Most people say growing a "Red Dragon" is harder, but I have not had this problem. I say go for the Red Dragon and the Common VFT. They look awesome growing side by side.
biggrin.gif

Back