What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft experiment

Hey WildBill, I have a great idea- how about leaving your plants alone and you drink the food coloring.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (John Milford CT @ July 15 2003,9:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey WildBill, I have a great idea- how about leaving your plants alone and you drink the food coloring.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
And then what? Feed it part of your foot? Oh great... I've reminded Spec and Ram of this disgusting thing... oh no... they will attack me with daily remindings of this right before I eat!!! GGGAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

Hi wild Bill
As to your experiment on the Flytraps, My son and I did one a wjile back with a sundew ( capensis ) to see how the bugs were absorbed into the plant. We put dye on a fly and fed it to the leaf that was mostly all green.. in time you could see the stem of the leaf was showing some red in it.. Really cool looking as the red made it's way to the bottom. Good luck with the flower though.. Maybe you will creat A new colored form of Fly Trap
Paso
Ps: incase you do Send me one :eek:)

The experiment continues.....

Two more traps fed with blue coloring and flies today. No signs of a flower scape yet.

I have 12 other non-experimented on 'typical' VFTs in different stages of flowering right now. Some have sent up secondary flower scapes too. I am hoping for lots of seed.

WildBill

Hey everyone -

The blue food coloring fed VFT is sending up a flower scape!!!!!

WildBill

Ohh cool! tell us how it turns out. Or better yet post a pic. of the flower in bloom.

Wes

what will it look like when it flowers???

I am hoping it will have a blue flower. I am also hoping the timing is right so I can show the plant in flower at the NECPS August meeting on the 16th.

WildBill

Hey if you get any seeds pm me and tell me all about it

also i would be glad to have any of your seeds blue or not

try dying the seeds blue
also try blue light
try dying the seeds blue light blues flies and blue water all at once see what happens

Hey everyone -

After months of the blue food coloring treatment, a bloom opened today and it was......white!

What I noticed from this experiment is that overall the plant was slightly stunted compared to similar sized plants that recieved the same treatment and conditions except for the food coloring.

WildBill

Ah well, but it was worth the try.

Back