What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drainage

• Thread starter INTHEFLESH 00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    soil
I

INTHEFLESH 00

I wanted to put some rocks or sand at the bottom of the drainage tray for my VFTs simply for aesthetic value. What kind of rocks or sand should I use that wouldn't affect the water in the dish or the soil?

Thanks

I would recommend either washed quartz gravel or silver sand. The sand is can be found where ever they sell pool filter sand or blasting sand. The gravel I have only seen in peoples landscaping and I don't know where they got it from
sad.gif

There is also a synthetic product sold by aquarium supply stores which is inert, and also attractive. You might try such dealers.

Hi Intheflesh,

Be very careful with aquarium gravel. Alot of it has limestone in it and that would mess with your water. You might want to buy a small bit of each of the gravels you like and then put them in separate containers with RO/distilled water and then test them after a time (2-3 weeks say) with aquarium KH and GH test kits (water hardness) or with a tds (conductivity) meter -- the more expensive but more thorough approach. Might give you a real idea of the chemical effect on the water

Bobby
smile.gif

You can also use silica pebbles.

A quick way to test for limestone is to drop a few pieces of gravel into some vinegar. You may have to let it set for a few minutes, but if bubbles form on the gravel, it has lime or other alkaline substance in it.

alien.gif

Back