Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Arrival

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I didn't know there was another CP firm in the UK. It seems to me that they've tried to copy **********'s inimitable style! The photo is a bit misleading too - it looks like some red cultivar that's been in equitorial sun 24hours a day. When it arrives it'll be 99% green!
    I don't know much about terrarium lighting - that's Ram Puppy's department.
    I've also prounounced it dion-ay-er, but I'm probably completely wrong.
    Try visiting www.sarracenia.com/faq for more information and do some searches on Altavista too.
    Where abouts in N. England are you? I'm in Lancashire. I can e-mail you some places where you can get more plants in the UK if you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, if you go with a terrarium, I think you are going to need more light... as a general rule of thumb, one is never enough...

there has been a lot on lighting the last couple of months search back a bit and read it. Until then, I say go with what Alvin Meister says, IMHO, it's always best to go with the advice of an experienced grower near you, they know what you have to put up with better than any one else... so put it on a window sill until you can get your artificial lighting set up, heck you may decide after seeing what REAL sunlight can do for a plant, that you NEVER want to use artificial light again!

Most of us only use artificial lights for plants that we must grow in terrariums, like Nepenthes and heliamphora (Our need is sometimes dictated by location (for me South Texas), preference, or unsuitable conditions any where in the home or around it, terrariums are small, less efficient green houses in a way I guess...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Schnapper,

A 40watt single aquarium light won't provide the required lighting for vft's, unless it is a bulb not a tube. I grow my tropical droseras 10cm below 2 40watt tubes and they grow well and turn red. Flytraps need a little bit more light and should be kept closer than drosera.
    Your plants will do better in full sun outdoors, so I wouldn't even bother with artificial lights.

Not all company grow flytraps in completely artificial conditions. A lot grow them in greenhouses with natural sunlight, so your flytrap may not be out of sync with the seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL it depends on where u live as to how u pronounce words...every country has different accents...but the right way is the way i pronounce it(lol only kidding)...i do not understand why u say the flytrap section on that site was limited-i thought it was EXCELLENT-it told u every thing u needed to know in simple straight forward language-more than i can say for some sellers of cp's.

(Edited by Mondo at 2:14 am on Jan. 8, 2002)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a lot of times, people expect more complex care instructions for something as weird as a flytrap... I personally have not checked out the site, but If Mondo says it's got enough info, he is probably right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll borrow another tube from my snakes, it's not a big problem! My room is an attic and has two large skylights, south facing, so natural sunlight will be a good idea for a small time in the summer (our climate is not exactly sunny)

Alivin Meister, I'm right next door in Yorkshire - my VFT hasn't arrived yet, so if you know places near us where I can actually buy plants directly that would be great

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12