Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding/selecting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any on these boards, who cross their VFT's and then select from the seed grown offspring for certain traits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be. My first set of seed from my Red Dragons germinated today.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick,
    How long did it take them to germinate? I'm currently waiting on seeds from "Sharks Tooth", "Big Mouth", "Giant Plant", and "Large Traps" to sprout. About two weeks so far.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find such selections to be a very long process. In 2001 and again in 2002, I selfed 'Red Dragon', selfed 'Jaws', crossed 'Red Dragon' x 'Jaws', and 'Jaws' x 'Red Dragon'. I have several hundred seedlings, but they are still too small to make any judgement about. Perhaps by the end of this summer, I will be able to see some significant differences in the plants -- but perhaps not. I find the process to be fun, nevertheless.

Concerning how long it took my seed to germinate. I sowed several thousand seed directly on milled sphagnum peat, but I did not stratify any of the seed. Some seeds began to germinate within about 3 weeks, others continued to germinate throughout the summer and fall, and now there are still seeds germinating this spring after a winter in an unheated greenhouse (natural stratification). If you want more uniform timing of germination, it is best to stratify the seed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the stratification of seed, I stratified some seed at one point in damp paper towel in a plastic bag, about three weeks later I looked at it, D. californica seed for some reason left a yellow mark above one seed in the paper, and a D. muscipula seed left a red stain. I'm guessing that this isn't really a good thing for the seed, just really odd. I would definately advise fungicides with just about anything that's going to be in a refridgerator for a period of time. Well...unless it's fungus that you're putting in there. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

The seed was planted on 4/14/2003. They germinated 5/8/2003, just after I had a discussion about them not sprouting in the chat room with Ellis and John.

I still have several seeds to plant. Will do this next week while on vaction.

Nick
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. Bobz, when you selfed your plants, did you self the same flower with its own pollen,or with pollen from another flower on the same plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used pollen from another flower on the same plant. I find it difficult to pollinate the same flower with itself because the stigma is receptive several days after the anthers are ripe. Using another flower that has recently opened on the same plant (or clone) to pollinate one that has been opened for several days makes for a much better success and a higher number of seeds, with exactly the same genetics you would get if you used the same flower to pollinate itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast