What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Completely new to vfts

• Thread starter MeutOfNess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bugs vft
M

MeutOfNess

how can I get bigger traps?
North east window sill;will that work for lighting?
can I feed it bugs if I catch them?
how big should it be?

A very odd question I have anoles if I put my vft in the cage with them what would most likely happen?

that's all I guess unless I come up with more.
rolleyes.gif

1) how can I get bigger traps?
2) North east window sill;will that work for lighting?
3) can I feed it bugs if I catch them?
4) how big should it be?
5) A very odd question I have anoles if I put my vft in the cage with them what would most likely happen?

Lets take thes in order:
1)  I don't know, though lots of sun will help.  I'm just happy mine continue to grow in spite of my abuse.
2)  VFTs like lots of light.  At least 5 or 6 hours of direct sun for a heathy plant but they will take more if they can get it and it's not too hot, 90ºF or cooler is best.  Lots of direct sunlight is also needed to bring out any red coloring in the plant.
3)  Yes, just be sure they are small enough to fit completely in to the trap.  If there is a part of the bug sticking out so that the trap can't make a complete seal, bacteria and fungus can start growing in the disolving bug and kill the trap.  Don't panic if this happens, just trim the dead trap off and wait for a new leaf and trap to grow.
4)  I am going to guess that you want to know how big do VFTs get?  Generally, they get 6" to 8" across.
5)  I suspect that they will walk all over the VFT, triggering the traps 'till they don't close any more.  Some of the herp people will be able to answer this better.

alien.gif

I have two anoles in one of my nepenthes chambers. I have had no problems. I don't see any problems if you puty our vft in with your anoles. If you have a male and female they may lay eggs on the leaves. My anoles stay at the top of the chamber most of the time. So if you put you vft in a section that they don't normaly stay You should have no problems.

I've been waiting to see a long green tail hanging out of one of the pitchers, but that hasn't happened yet.

Back