What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what shoul I do with my trap?

• Thread starter colin 66
  • Start date
Should I have a cup over my plant as a dome or not and why?

my plant is a venus fly trap

Usually it is good to have something covering your VFT (because they like humidity), but only for a certain amount of time, they also like good air circulation. I usually take my coverings off during the day and then put them over my VFT's at night to mantain humidity.
biggrin.gif
. Not everyone will do it the same exact way that is just what works well for me. I hope I answered your question.
wink.gif

Okay if its a venus flytrap, I suggest not keeping the dome on. Why? just water it 1 inch of distilled water every 2 days. And plus venus Flytraps dont need humidity SUNDEWS DO

how do you water an inch,
this cant measure water, we all ave different sized cups

Collin,
I live in Colorado and the humidity here is usually low ~35% or so. I grow my VFTs outside in a small tray with a ½" or less of water in it. The plants have always done well. I don't have a dome or any other cover over them. If you use a dome you have to be careful of letting your plant sit in full sunlight as the dome will trap the heat and cook your plant.

I put on a dome when I had my first flytrap, I learn't the hard way that shouldn't have
sad.gif
It does, well eventually burn it. Thing was, it was thriving when I had in on, but then when it was burn't it died, but now it's back alive, although i'm not proud that is only producing 3mm traps! (no joke)

Hey Collin
smile.gif

I would ditch the cup its more of a problem that its worth. Your plant doesn't need that much humidity and more importantly needs air circulation. Your plant will not like being messed with either all of the time, you know like putting it on and taking it off its just a pain and plus it doesnt give the plant much of a chance to adjust to its new enviroment when it keeps on changing.

I think the only reason the cup is put there in the first place is for shipping purposes and keeping people from messing with them at the stores they are sold at.

UC is right, the cups are provided as a means of protection for the plant during shipping, and to maintain their supply of water longer while in the store, since most average joes at home depot will kill them by watering with tap and so on... the domes are there to make the plants as user friendly as possible to the stores they are in.

Petflytrap grows it's plants in a large room with grow lights and many many trays of plants, humidity is not as high I think, as many would think, and the plants are usually only domed for a couple of days during shipping... (It's not like they grew up in there!
smile.gif

Ditch the dome unless you have problems... but the domes really don't let the plant spread out and stretch it's traps like it needs to...

Um....well i just took my dome off yesterday night, probably wasn't a very good idea to do that right before the chill of the night. Before my plant looked pretty healthy with lots of new leaves and traps forming but now all of them are wilty....Me panic. I put the dome back on. It might be stress but then again I live in Washington state.
So does this mean I should keep the dome off or not?

Ok I gotta ask....where in WA do you live???

around Seattle. Why? Do you live in Washington?

Maybe I should also add umm...this is not a fitting place to put your vfts out for the night it just gets too cold out like I'm sure you've noticed Sorry I didnt realize that you had them outside or I would have told you that
sad.gif

But grab yourself some cobra lillies they love it here outside if your in western Washington that is!!

Oh and by the way Im in Lynnwood just north of seattle
smile.gif

well I didn't put it outside, i think with the kind of nights here...it'd get pneumonia or something, I left it indoors. Hm. well I live in Kent...cobra lillies hmm?

YAY!!! somebody closer
smile.gif

I dont keep a dome on mine at all they adjust to it you may wanna keep it on at night and off durring the day to get it used to the change.

okie doke. sounds like a good idea. I'll try that. Except I need to get a bigger dome...what in my house can I cut up?

Hi Guys and Girls,

I dont know why you all want high humity for your VFT. I had mine in the bath for a long time, only with artifical light and they have grown very well- and the humity was around 50%, over night a bit higher and on hot days as low as 35%. I had no problems with any flytrap. I would say as long as the average humity is about 50%- you should be fine.

true u really dont need to cover it at all it will do fine but if u wish u may I know I cover mine at night

I currently use a fish bole I just flip it upside down and place it overtop

but u may also use a popbottle like the big two litter ones just cut it in half and if u have a really sticky u just undoo the cap
biggrin.gif

Back