Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about what to do with seedlings

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Okay, first off, I have a whole bunch of seedlings sprouting from my seeds, which anyone who has read my post "My vft seedling journal" probably knows. Anyways, I was wondering what to do when the dormancy season comes around. It's August and already getting slightly cooler (80 instead of 100 LOL) around here (Florida). By November, it's gonna be 40 during the day and 35 at night. So, since seedlings can't take dormancy in their first year, I'll keeping them safe and warm inside, most likely either in my bedroom (not likely actually since I don't have much room for them in there) or the sunroom. But they won't get anything but through-the-window sunlight anywhere. I want to keep them under a growlight for the couple months they'll be inside. My friend has a spare 10 gallon glass fishtank with a full hood that I could use to put the seedlings in (in their containers, of course). All I need to know is this: what kind of lightbulb do I need to use? The local petshop sells 14 inch or something UV bulbs for 20 bucks. Will that work? The bulb will be roughly a foot above the seedlings. I'm hopeful this will work, for it is my only option for keeping them alive indoors for the fall/winter. God, I go into depth with the details in my posts... oh well. That's good. So, I need answers! Thanks in advance!

Thanx,
    FTG
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya FTG...

10 gallon fish tanks dont come with flourescent hoods that I know of (unless its some kinda custom setup) so if you plan to use a hood then you will have to find a suitable compact flourescent. I suggest you get a couple 24 inch standard flourescent balasts from Lowes or home depot and set them up to light the tank. I use 2 Philips Agro-Glo F20T12 20 watt bulbs on my 10 gallon right now (Im going to add a second balast soon to increase my light capacity). UV bulbs sound like "black lights" no good. If you can create a water tray for inside the tank, you can raise them off the bottom and get them closer to the lights. My plants (and their trays) sit on inverted plastic drinking cups which gets them to within 5 inches of the light tubes (its not pretty.. but it works). Also my tank is wrapped in reflective material (Aluminum foil) on 3 sides.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'll just by the UV bulb. The UV bulb I'm talking about is not a blacklight. It gives off PLENTY of light, and a full UV ray giveout. It's made for reptiles like Anoles, which need both light and lots of UV. Now that I think of it, the ten gallon doesn't have a full hood. It's got no top, but my friend has a UV light fixture she always used with her Anoles, and I have a UV light fixture also. So I could put both of them on the tank, so it'll be double the UV exposure. The plants will be nine inches from the light. I was thinking, maybe I could just take them all out of the two huge watering trays, since they won't fit, and put them all on the bare bottom of the tank and pour a little water on the bottom for them.
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey ftg!
    before you jump into buy lights, read the lighting article in the terrarium forum. there's a ton of info there!

when i had my 10 gallon, i had 2-24" lights on it. both were cool white, and they were 15watts each.

when i moved up to the 20 "tall", i went out and bought a 4' shop light, and 2-4' ,32watt cool white bulbs. this set up will run you about 10.00 total. i know that a lot of light is wasted, as the lights are 4' long, but i had good success with it!

enjoy!

technoracer
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya FTG..

Another question that comes to mind is: Why even bother with a tank at all? You should have decent enough humidity there. The only reason my plants are enclosed is because my cat will destroy them if she can get to them (as I found out the day I got them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] ). To be honest, I wouldnt even use the tank if I were you. Just set them in their existing water trays under a light of your choice and call it a day.

Just another way to look at it...
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, but, the thing is, I have absolutely NO way to suspend a light over them.
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Steve - you probably don't need to put the plants in a terrarium. Here's my solution to over winter seedlings and small CPs.

I took all the books off of a 5 foot wide bookshelf and mounted 4 foot shoplites to the bottom of the shelves and put my plants in trays on the shelves right below the lights. This has worked out extremely well for VFTs, Sundews, small Sarracenia and Darlingtonia.

At Walmart in the kitchen section you can find different sized Rubbermaid utensil trays that are white plastic, about 2 inches deep by 14 inches long in various widths. These work out great to set the plants in. I use both the 3 inch wide (holds five 3-inch pots or plastic cups) and 6 inch wide ones. The trays are about 2 bucks.

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about that greenhouse you got for your birthday? You should have no problems mounting a light fixture on that somewhere. You will have a lot of plants that are on that now that will be dormant so that should free up some space for you.

Steve

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast