What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hmm...

I have two flytraps, one just a normal VFT and the other a green dragon, on my porch. I've noticed that the regular flytrap catches lots of flies, while the green dragon doesn't seem to catch any. Why is this? Is the normal kind better at attracting bugs?

Are the plants placed in different areas?

Nope, theyre right next to each other.

Flytrap Fan,

I have both the Common and Green Dragon as well, and noticed the same thing.  However, they both do attract insects just the same.  The Green Dragon is just a much hardier plant than the Common, therefore requiring more stimulation on its trigger hairs and hence, generally catching larger insects than that of the Common (but less).

You can test this by triggering the hairs yourself on both plants.  You will notice that the GD takes a bit more poking (to trigger the hairs).  

HOPE THIS HELPS!  

Frogger

How long have you had them and have you had them the same length of time? New plants sometimes have had the traps triggered enough times that they don't close any more and you have to wait for new traps to grow.

I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of flies caught by my Green Dragon and my typical VFT. They both usually have all their traps full during the summer.

alien.gif

Back