Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tissue Culture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard about tissue culture many times on this and other web sites. I am interested in how it works and how it is done.
    Can you peoples tell me how it works and is done. I'd like to try it! Sounds interesting! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Shoopdawoop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi pipsqueak, tissue culture is accually not that complicated in essence. All it is is growing plants from seeds or cuttings in a sterile enviroment without soil. when you hear in virto it means in glass. Basicly waht you do is have a baby food jar, sterilized with bleach, then rinsed with steril water (boiled distilled water) then you take the seed or cutting and soak it in bleach for about a minute or two (it doesnt kill it, suprisingly!).

People use a pressure cooker or microwave to serilize mostly everything.

Then you take a nutrient and nutirient enriched agar, which solidifies the liquid nutrient. This is called the media. You then place the cutting or the seed (cutting:bottom placed in media. Seed:placed on top of media.) All this is done in a an enviroment where there is an upward flow of air, or no air movent whatsoever to avoid contamination of the media and seed/cutting. You then seal the jar your using, and place it in a sunny location! Plants grown in tissue culture grow and mature quicker, and are usually always healither plants. Hope that helps!

I hope pft can make a basic tissue cutlre kit that they can sell customers. *HINT* *HINT*

thats my 2 cents..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand so far, but what is the ingredient solidified in the agar?

Thanx in advance!

Shoopdawoop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the ingredient solidified in the agar is whatever nutrient you decide to use for the job your doing. here is a website where you can buy your own culture kit. www.kitchenculture.com also, http://flytrap.demon.co.uk sells cheap tissue culture kits that work very well, and come with a free exaple plant! If possiable, can a moderator move this to the general discussions forum, its more suited there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! I think i am going to try it. Sounds fun.
    I was wondering if it is possible to make the agar or do i have to buy it somewhere.
    THanX a bunch!

Shoopdawoop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agar is a product made from seaweed. So i dont think you could make it! lol. It is avaiable at stores (not many however) as agar agar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pipsqueak--

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd wager that the ingredients in the agar are two types of plant hormones--auxins and cytokinins. In equal amounts, plant cells form a sort of ball (called a callus) and these cells can grow into any type of cell in the new plant!

Coop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx Coop,
    I think it still is a little complicated procedure, but why not give it a try? Getting all the materials for the procedure will definitely be difficult. Have you done Tissue culturing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast