What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

this is too easy!

biggrin.gif
Ah. Fed a spider to my VFT. Ah. It closed nicely. then a trap closed over a growing leaf, but that's not important. I have a spider in cold storage. He has a fat abdomen. Bwahahahaha. I thought catching bugs was gonna be harder, but...all you have to do is go stand outside on the lawn for a while with a cup and a cover...and a little *preens* ... skill.

How do you keep them alive in the fridge? I put a fly that my roommate had caught in the fridge (being after midnight and all, had to wait till' morning). And the thing went and died on me. Is your fridge warm or something?

Um, I think the whole POINT of putting it in the fridge is to kill it, or at least stunn it, so you can feed it to your plant without it flailing around between your fingers while sinking it's venomous fangs into you thumb DUH LOL
biggrin.gif

A VFT won't digest a dead spider. It's meant to be stunned and wake up and struggles inside the trap.

I dunno. Maybe my fridge is warm. That spider has been in there for about a week, he managed to get in there by himself, and he was still alive. I put them in there in hopes to get them groggy so they don't move fast. I put another spider in there and he survived overnight and longer, and a moth too. Hmm...where's that fridge thermometer thingie? Or is there some kind of switch in there that regulates the temperature.
Spiders aren't bugs? I thought bugs was the general layman term for anything with 6 legs or more.

No, an insect has only 6 legs, no more and no less. Also, most insects have 3 segments of their body. A spider has 8 legs and one body part, the spider family is called arichnid.

haha you know in my book centipedes spiders and all insects are bugs Im with you Mr Pokepokehmm its a generalization of all them put together.

Also spiders have 2 body parts the abdomen and the thorax
tounge.gif
wink.gif

I agree with pokepokehmm...

Insects have a head, thorax, and abodmen, and six legs coming from the thorax

Spiders have a cephalothorax and an abdomen, with eight legs coming from the cephalothorax... All spiders are arachnids, but not all arachnids are spiders... ie. scorpions, vinigaroons, camel spider, mites, etc...

If you use the term bug as something more than a laymen's term, you are reffering to the order Hemiptera, which is in class insecta...

Bug in laymens terms is pretty much any arthropod...

I know that an insect has 6 legs and I know that a spider is not an insect, but an arachnid, and has 8 legs. I wasn't trying to say a spider was an insect.

Hehe, ya who really cares. just say bug. You are right Parusco, my bad... Lol

Back