Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: My vft seedling journal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My seeds just germinated this week as well! They were the ones Tamlin gave me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

How long before they start to grow carnivorous leaves?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Sep. 04 2003,4:32)
    Also, it's been almost seven weeks since I planted them, so I seriously doubt the forty that haven't sprouted yet will sprout... ya think?[/QUOTE]
    FTG,

They may sprout. I wouldn't give up. I recall someone planted their seed right after they ripened and 9 months later he was still finding seedlings popping up in the pots.

Some sprout earlier than others, usually stratification leads to a more uniform germination.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I know they got stratification in the form of two months in the fridge while I went off to NC a couple months ago... anyhowees, they should get carnivorous leaves somewhere around... four weeks. Almost all of mine have developing traps now.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey FTG?
    When you say "I know they got stratification in the form of two months in the fridge while I went off to NC" Do you mean you stored them dry in the fridge for 2 months? According to the FAQ pages, VFT seeds need a damp stratification of several weeks. "The cold, moist treatment is called stratification---you have to do it. Just storing the seeds in a dry packet in the refrigerator does not count, by the way---they must be stored moist." (Barry Rice.. FAQ pages)
    Savage Garden says that you can sow seeds immediately without stratification, so I guess there is some difference of opinion on this subject. Given you have an apparant 66% failure rate on this batch of seeds I suspect that lack of damp stratification could be to blame.
    I have to say I tend to lean more towards the FAQ pages for information on cultivating VFTs simply because everything that I've tried that is suggested there has worked flawlessly for me.
    Next season I plan to let my Green Dragons flower and seed. I'm going to try out both methods and see if there is any difference in the results (keep your eyes open next summer for "VFT guys seedling journal") lmao

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi VftGuy & FlytrapGurl-

I recently collected VFT seeds and sent most in to the ICPS seedbank. I did save and plant some within a week or two of collecting the seeds - and after 3 weeks have had nearly 100% germination. I sent some to Schloaty and he has had pretty good germination too. So, my personal experience is no stratification if you have fresh seed.

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay then... I had the seeds all dry in a Mott's Applesause container, covered in plastic wrap and a rubber band and in a Ziploc bag when they were in the fridge. Bummer, dude... well, at least some grew... and some traps will be opening reeeeeaaaaalllll soon!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates? I hope to have a seedling soon. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh... sorry... but not much has relly been happening at all... just slooooowwwwww grrrrrroooooowwwwwwiiiiinnnnnnnnggggg for the most part, although a few traps have opened. I'l, keep you updated on any changes!
    Liquid Plummer

9. Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast