Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! thanks for all the info Ram, i appreciate it greatly. The bulb i use gets bloody hot, cannot even describe it. I'm not too sure about heat being emmited from the bulb but i put it on for about 5-10 seconds and when i unscrewed it burnt my hand pretty badly (as i didnt wanna drop it) [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Ill test tonight and hopefully not burn down the house. How many plants do your 3 lights and 55 gallon tank support? Also when i purchased my VFT 3 days ago one of the traps was closed, im guessing some pencil pushing moron closed it... it only started opening today and generally is opening quite slowly. I read somewhere they should open a day or 2 later after being false triggered... should i be worried? [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Apart from that all my questions have been answered, thanks again everyone who helped.

Mix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about it, traps actually GROW back open, and this is a somewhat slow process, if it has already started growing open then that's great... if it never does, or stalls, then I wouldn't worry... the worst that will happen is it will turn black and you'll snip it off... the plant will be fine if it stays closed, or if it opens, or does some weird thing half way...

Also, Since the light is already hot, I wouldn't even bother experimenting, it's not worth the trouble... just to much heat. don't risk your flytrap!

As for how much my tank supports, well, it's actually 4 lights, and right now it is supporting:

1 nepenthes Raflessiana
    2 Nepenthes Bicalarata
    3 Nepenthes Ventricosa X Maxima
    1 Unknown Nepenthes
    1 Nepenthes Judith Finn
    1 N. Ventricosa
    1 N. Truncata X Vetchie
    1 N. Rocco X Fusca
    1 N. Merrilliana

for or five various sundews

2 tiny little cephalotouses...

It had 2 S. Purpera's and 4 flytraps in it but all have been removed for dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, how anoyying. I guess ill just have to hunt for another light. Sun is back out and weather report says it should be out for the whole week which is good, you said that i should have my plant under photo using the light for 12-14hours but how long under the sun? The sun is pretty dam hot here and im afraid it might burn my plant. Mondo suggested in an earlier post keeping the plant only in morning sun, which i guess would last 5 or so hours and then bring it inside for the afternoon, would this work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bulb glass getting hot is one thing but heat radiated by the bulb is another. If you put your hand under the bulb the same distance you would put it from your plant after it is warmed up.. do you feel warmth then? If its cool to ever so slightly warm, I would say it's safe to use.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a step ahead of ya Tony, thanks so much for your advice though. I tested the bulb over-night and figured if i placed a fan on it it dosn't get too hot. I was also a bit worried about the bulb melting the lamp since something in it i saw was plastic. But everything is fine now, i placed the builb about 25-30cm away from the plant but at that distance there is still a tiny bit of heat, i figure it can't do to much harm.
    Thanks again,

Mix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope everything works out, the photo-period I mentioned is for artificial lighting, and doesn't apply to putting the plant in the sun... which is far more intense a source of light than anything here on earth. (Of course)

Any how, check out the plant care & information section of the site, there is a write up of how to care for plants in a hostile environment, I live in South Texas, with average summer temps around 100 degrees, and an afternoon sun that will give you a sunburn clear through your skull and onto your brain... it's brutal here, and I grow flytraps and sarracenia outdoors on a covered patio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been extremly cloudy the past few days here and my plant is produing smaller leaves,i'm not sure it is because of the decrease in light or because i fed it a fly 5 days ago-i am guesing that the plant is just producing smaller traps because it is better to produce two smaller traps than one big trap-as you once posted ram-or it could be that the plant is just a bit shocked,because i read on the site who sells the plants to the shop i got it from that because they can have up to 100,000 plants at one time they can't go and find enough bugs so they give their plants very diluted fertilizer-so i'm guessing it's the first time the plant has used it's traps to get food-the plant finished the fly off in five days! I mean i have never had a flytrap that has eaten that fast before-i won't feed it for about a week just so it can realize it must eat with it's traps-i don't wanna give it intergestion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, apparently if it hasn't been in the sun for awhile or hasn't eaten in awhile you must slowly introduce these elements to it otherwise it will take shock and possibly die. I read somewhere someone didn't feed his fly-trap for a long time, then gave it 3 or so flys and its traps died. (Maybe Ram said it...dunno)
    I'm not sure if that kinda food problem would relate to smaller traps growing but im not sure on a lot of things right now.
    Anyway thats all

Mix

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast