What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artifical light...

• Thread starter trixie7777
  • Start date
T

trixie7777

I was just wondering of anyone knows how many watts to use and what type of bulbs for artifical light. I want something that you can screw into a fixture and plug it into the wall.. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jenny

27w spiral compact fluorescent. $10. Will screw into a standard light socket. It can get a little warm, just remember.

This would be ok to start out with if you have a few plants or as supplemental lighting.

More than that and you would have to use at least two, or a different light.

Btw, did you figure out which one's you're going to grow to start out with?

Try the Other artificial light thread in this forum. There's also a good Lighting thread in the greenhouse forum.

From my own experience, my Leucos and VFTs have been happliy growing under a 1750 lumen 100watt equivalent Compact Fluorescent bulb (forgot what the actual wattage is). These are the energy saving bulbs you see sold in dept/hardware stores. They give the same amount of light as regular fluorescents in a smaller area, using much less energy and giving off much less heat. If you go with these, which I recommend as they fit into most regular 40-60 watt lamp fixtures, then get the highest wattage possible. Also keep an eye on the lumen count, the higher the better. And a good rule of thumb is that quantity of light is more important than quality.

Hope this helped, and good luck!

Also, try to get a 'Daylight' or 'Cool White' CFL, if possible. See the thread about compact flurocent bulbs ...

Back