User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Number of leaves?

Drew
    I read on some sites that a healthy Venus Flytrap should have 7 to 8 leaves. I just got my first one and it has 9 currently open leaves, and 3 leaves that are growing and havn't opened yet, making it 12 leaves total. Is this to many? Should I cut some off?

Also, I read that if when a flytrap catches an incect, but doesn't get it's leaf fully closed, bacteria gets inside and will kill it. My plant caught a moth, but a couple of the moth's legs got such outside the leaf when the leaves closed together, inabling for the little arm-things on the ouside to fully close together at one spot. Is it really bad if it doesn't get completly closed?

Also, the plant I got came with a clear plastic cup to act as a cover to keep the moister in. Do I really need that on, and if I do for how long each day?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Keep the lid off. It traps too much heat inside and cooks your plant. Keeping your plant in a dish filled with water 2 inches or less from the top of the plant will do just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1. The more leaves the better. A non-deing VFT has 7-8 leaves, a happy VFT has as many as it can (most of mine have 20+)

#2. All other questions please see Health FAQ (don't worry about the bug, just take special note of "I. Food Rot" should you have a problem.

http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....;t=2071
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Drew

Thumbs up

Okay thanks. The FAQ answered a couple more questions I had. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Drew
    But I do have one more question though. Most sites I visited said to keep your venus flytrap outside and in full sun. Unfortunetly, my yard is had chipmonks who immediatly dig up anything I plant, weather it's in the ground or in a pot. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] Currently, I have been keeping my flytrap on my windowsill, which faces west and only gets light half of the day. I also have one of those greenhouse lights which acts as an artificial sun and helps plants grow. Should I:

A: leave it on the windowsill
    B: leave it on the windowsill and put the greenhouse light on it for part of the day.
    C: keep it outside and risk the chipmonks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No dont cut any off, mine has lots...

I think there are 2 plants in there...now repotted into a 5 inch wide/ 6 inch deep pot.

Drew
    Wow, thats huge! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]

Whats with that weird looking trap on the bottom right? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good god! NFC, that has got to be the most jam packed pot I've ever seen. What the heck have you been feeding those things, lol. And I am also going to have to say that that looks like way more then two crowns, more like 5! When/Where/How did you get such an awsome pot of plants? If you got self cloner that robust I am going to be SOOOOO jelious!... wait, I already am, lol
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast