Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TOTALLY FRUSTERATED

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clueless...was it a dead spider or alive? If it was dead and there was no movement, maybe the trigger hairs were never tripped properly. (I think the general rule is two different trigger hairs touched within a couple of seconds.) If it was alive, its crawling around should have triggered it. However, if you say the spider is still in there, then I'd say it must be dead, eh? duh. Did you wiggle the spider around a bit or just lay it in there? If its a new trap...is it fully formed with "teeth" and trigger hairs inside?

Just a thought.

Suzanne
    p.s. Don't worry about being clueless...I am myself quite a bit of the time. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible for the spider to be too big for the trap? And is it possible for the trap to take a full 24 hours to close all the way in the winter time? Because it looks to be closed as far as it can now, but the spider may be too big. Will this be a problem?? And the trap looks fully formed, except for a few of the teeth are partially curled.

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok as far as I know it shouldn't take that long for a trap to shut. I don't think it's something to worry about though so don't [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Are you feeding it dead food? That's no fun!
    It is possible for the spider and other things to be too big for the trap, you can usually tell though if part of the body is hanging out or the trap didn't shut all the way. just keep an eye on it and if it starts to get black spots on it clip it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my trap is finally almost completely closed after all this time!! I think that trap may just have not been mature enough. What does everyone think? Could this be the cause?? Also...I thought it was normal for the trap to blacken after eating a bug?? LoL, and yes it was dead. I would never be able to bring myself to actually touch a spider long enough to put it in the trap!! Hehe, and flies are just out of the question as its winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may also be out of the question but I use tweezers to pick up live bugs not spiders though I kinda like them the little ones anyway. you know they realy wont starve if you wait to feed them when it warms up. I know it isnt as fun, but their traps are supposed to get bigger quicker if you don't feed them as much so it could be worth it. At least that's what Ive heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you mentioned it was a new trap. How long was it open before you tried to feed it? It takes 2-3 days after it is fully open before it is ready to catch something.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good to know I wasn't sure on that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind, too, that fly traps are accustomed to being dormant by this time of the year. I have dozens of them outside that are still in beautiful rosette form with stunning traps...but they aren't actively catching bugs. I don't think the traps even work. Clueless...are you familiar with how to provide dormancy for your fly trap?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12