Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repotting VFT\'S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have 4 venus flytraps in there 3 inch pots i am wanting to repot them into one big pot,but i dont know what kind i should get.will plastic or any other kind do?.any help will be very much appreciated [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Jack

I would recommend against repotting your Venus Flytraps. They really don't like it.

There are things that will can can happen that will be harmful to the plant.

Shock, Death, damage to their roots...all things that can happen!

If you still feel the urge to repot, I would wait until after you pull the plants out of dormancy.

To put them dormant, gently remove them from their pots ( so the roots are not damaged) and place in a paper towel in a bag. Put in the front of your fridge.

When you pull them out for Spring. Pot them inwhatever you like.

Be sure to use plastic pots, if you want to use a clay pot, it need to have a glaze on it ( the minerals in the clay will hurt the plant )

If you are to keep them outside, use plastic, the clay will pull the water out of the soil on hot days, and you will have to constantly water.

Plastic is your friend! :smile:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i repot my plants whenever..i dont really care what time. Just gently knock the plant with all the old soil around the roots and repot in a mix of sand and peat in a plastic pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i guess i wont repot them,id rather keep them healthy than have them die,i have kept mine in there pots in one of our colder rooms on the window sill and have kept there water level low.they seem to be doing ok.i been keeping it sunny for them there but its a cold room.i hope thats ok.if not im open for suggestions [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they dormant? How cold is it? Cause if they are dormant they shouldn't be sitting in water thier roots can rot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once they have come out of dormancy you could repot them. I've never had any problems repotting (although that's not to say you won't [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ), they just seem to stop growing for about a week.
    3 inch pots are a bit small for larger plants and the fresh media can have a reinvigarating effect if they have been in the same media for a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same question and a couple more if you guys could please expand, or at least let me know if I'm on the right track.

I have two VFT each in three inch pots they came in last summer. At the end of Feb. (near end of dormacy) I want to put both of them into a seven inch wide, 5 inch deep plastic pot. Is that big enough for them to get through the summer?

Also when repotting, do they need to be a certain depth in the pot? The way they are right now is the pot is fully packed and infact rounded over the top of the pot. As with other plants, I plan to remove them from the current pot, tease the roots a bit at the bottom to free them up, then to place them at the same depth in the new pot (crown a bit outside of the rim of the pot). Does that make sense? Is it ok? The pot is then going to sit in another much larger pot with a two to three inches of gravel at the bottom. Water will be kept in the outside pot to a level of one to two inches from the bottom of the plant pot.

Does this sound ok?

Thanks Linda

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi linda [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    As far as I can tell that sounds fine. 5 inches should be plenty deep unless you have a rather large vft. Two of mine have 1- 1 1/4" traps and the roots were about 4 inches my others have traps about 1/4-1/2" and thier roots were about 2 1/2". So it realy depends on how large the plant is to say for sure.
    To get the dirt out of the roots or vice versa [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] take it out of the pot get a small pail of water and just swish it around the dirt will come right off. Be very careful not to damage the roots if you need to separate them cause they are very sensitive.
    Out of curiosity what kind of gravel are you planning on using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast