Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I give up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

It's been more than a week now of the "ideal" conditions for my VFT's. There is no improvement on their condition. One seems to be rotting at the base of them stems one by one, and the other one just isn't picking up. It's limp and the traps are folded inside-out. Should I give up on them? As I've mentioned before, the lighting I'm using is a full-spectrum "day-light" from the pet store. Gives off heat but is not florescent. It simulates UV rays.

HELP! If I give up on these, I don't want to lose the next ones when I try again. I really don't seem to be getting the hang of caring for VFT's. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    To live we must learn to forgive.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they getting enough moisture? Or it could be that they are to hot, which in turn would need water to cool them of. If so you may want to mist them really well.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The humidity has been hard to maintain inside my terrarium, but I've been doing my best to keep it between 60-75%. The temp. has been fairly steady with the light at 80-85 degrees. I've been leaving the light on during the day and turning it off at night at an attempt to simulate natural daylight and nightime hours. There is a layer of rock below the soil (peat and perlite) for excess moisture drainage. What could I be doing wrong? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hmmm, not too sure you should be draining "excess" moisture...How wet do you keep the soil? I grow my traps in pots, and I sit the pots in a 1" tray of purified water. Keeps 'em pretty moist.

Did you plant the plants directly in to the terrarium? It's ok to do, it's just a pain when you need to remove them for winter dormancy. I would suggest that you leave them potted (don't re-pot them if you already took them out, just wait until you take 'em out the frige at Easter) and sit them in a tray in your terrarium.
    Good Luck!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By that I mean the rocks give the "extra" water a place to go so that if I happen to over-water the soil doesn't stay soaked. I've been doing my best to keep the soil moist but not saturated so that the roots don't rot. Is that what I'm doing wrong?

They are both planted directly in the terrarium. I still haven't figured out how to put them into dormancy without transplanting (again). The terrarium is too big to fit in the fridge and it's too cold outside here in winter to let them stay out there. I origionally had one of them in a pot by itself, and it didn't seem to improve then either. I'm almost at the point of giving up on these two and tossing them out. I know that might tick some of you off...sorry, but it's the way I feel right now! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This same thing happened to me. I had my VFT's in a Terrarium, and they didn't do so well, when they started to wilt and it looked like they were dying I got them into draining pots with distilled wate underneath them and put them outside in the sun. Almost overnight I could see improvement in them. Ever since then they have been thriving and doing excellent. I don't know how the conditions are where you live, but if it is fairly warm and sunny, I would put them outside in different pots, maybe put them somewhere, where they get about 2 or 3 hours of direct sunlight a day, and then gradually let them get more direct sun. I find that it is not easy to grow CP's inside, they seem to do much better outside.
    I miss my old signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The conditions here are volatile weather-wise. The daytime hours can range from 18-19 degrees, but at night it's cooling to almost 5.
    What is a drainage pot? Just a regular planter with the holes in the bottom? I've already transplanted 3-4 times. Would it be more harmful to transplant now into individual pots and put them ouside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using one of those blue daylight bulbs, then that wil be the problem. I find they are only good for preventing plants from going dormant over winter, such as seedlings.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast